Windows 10 Insiders in Kenya - My Experience,what's yours?

So its been 3 years since Satya Nadella launched Windows 10 globally from a launch event in Nairobi,i remember the event at Aboretum drive where so many local windows fans and insiders came to interact and network.Well,3 years on as a local insider,it has been such a great experience…Windows 10 has evolved from the buggy build 10240 to now a more stable fast ring in build 17713…Some of us are so used to the skip ahead builds as our daily drivers that we take for granted the many features Microsoft have offered us over the years.Case in point…Windows Timeline,Skype integration,live tiles,cortana,Xbox live,Microsoft store,My People app,Windows Mail,Tablet Mode,S mode,Night light,Virtual desktops,Themes,Gaming enhancements(DirectX 12),detailed task manager,phone linking e.t.c…As an insider and a typical windows user,i have found myself using features like night light mode to read on my notebook/desktop at night,the gaming bar has come in handy in optimizing and broadcasting games that i play on PC,quick chats with friends from the taskbar through the my people widgets,cortana has helped in setting reminders,alarms and telling me how the weather is going to be,live tiles giving me an overview on whats happening,Windows timeline when i need to retrieve a document or a page i was browsing like 4 days ago that i forgot,Virtual desktops which help me multitask with many applications…Being an insider,i have come to realize that by just using the insider builds on your computer you are still giving feedback to Microsoft but the greatest part is being part of the insider community by particpating in small ways during bug bashes and giving feedback through the feedback hub,mostly by upvoting or suggesting things they can work on…So to all local insiders here,share what you have loved about your experience with Windows 10 these last 3 years.

2 Likes

My opinion is still divided on Windows 10. Micro$oft have upped their security and developer tools. On the other hand they ruined the Pro Edition for corporate users and I am no fan of how much data they collect by default.

I still run a Windows 10 Insider VM for testing and to support my office but these days I run Linux and MacOS full time.

1 Like

At one point I ran Windows Beta build on my PC but that ship sailed. I just use the official releases.

2 Likes

I also joined as an insider back in 2015 when the first Windows 10 insider preview was released on the Microsoft site. I was so excited n I remember dowloading the ISO at the school digital library coz internet was fast there. Installed it on my old laptop and the thing was so buggy, display and audio drivers weren’t there so it was that basic Microsoft display driver look and no sound, but I loved the UI; like an upgraded Windows 8.1
I had to revert back to Windows 7 though coz it made my laptop basically unusable
A year later I got my first Windows Phone Lumia 535 and after upgrading it to Windows 10 Mobile the idea of the platform eventually evolving to a unified Windows OS for both Mobile and PC excited me. Regular insider build releases, giving feedback about them and seeing it actually being worked on gave the feeling of being part of a Windows ecosystem that actually worked. Well then they announced Windows mobile is dead so I switched to Android :grinning:, but that whole experience made me love Windows even more
I currently do not receive insider preview builds on my PC coz I fear the OS crashing, but once I rearrange my data in different hard disks and partitions I’ll continue with the drill

1 Like

I joined the insider program when it launched.
I have had a fair ride with new features and tonnes of bugs, removal of some features I consider core in an OS and to be honest windows has evolved. It is only windows 10 that made me love the windows mobile due to the deep integration but it a pity that i jumped off the mobile bandwagon which i loved due to lack of active support. Currently I’m an insider of the pro version as a developer and my needs are taken care of with every new update, that is why I am not leaving the insider program soon.