Why Phones with Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 are expensive

I have been wondering why flagships in 2020 have been so expensive all of a sudden with the s20 Ultra at $1399 . So I did some research. Turns out some greedy person at Qualcomm decided that The SD 865 SoC will not have an integrated Modem, not even the 4G modem. So the OEMs have to buy the SoC differently from the X55 modem even if they don’t want 5G. And Apparently if they want 5G , then the OEM has to buy the RF modules for either mmWave or Sub 6GHz differently. And if that ain’t enough , they have to buy the Antennaes as a different modules. This adds cost to about $200 without OEM adding their own manufacturing costs.

I think Qualcomm has started pulling an Intel in the Mobile chip making. What are your thoughts ? . And last time I checked ,Intel got burned and right now AMD is murdering them left and right.

2 Likes

They will wind up ceding alot of the market to Mediatek especially on the midrange to lower market with their Dimensity 1000 chipset. https://i.mediatek.com/mediatek-5g Either way good news for watus like me who like it cheap.

3 Likes

The same mistake was done by Intel of owing a monopoly in the market and deciding whatever they want to do. And that was chance for AMD to swoop in and show what they can do with half the budget or lesser than Intel’s price.
Same is gonna happen to qualcomm, mediatek is there and Huawei’s own Kirin processors are also good at 7nm process. But due to Google’s ban of their products on Huawei people are stuck with Qualcomm.

Do you think it’s related to each other ? Banning competitors so that they can increase prices and customer can’t choose anything ?

1 Like

You do make a good point.

1 Like

I agree with you. And Mediatek aren’t playing, they’ve got the Dimensity 1000 & 1000+ that are 5G SoCs and sell at a lower price than SD865. Also, for their mid-range, there’s the 800+ chip that’ll likely launch in a fortnight on a Realme.
It’s a complete Intel in the mobile chip making move, and give it a short while, Mediatek is bound to leave them in the dust (especially given that they started abandoning that nonsense of embedding PowerVR GPUs).

1 Like

I think it’s related. Note that Samsung’s in the US are the only variants on SD’s chips, all other variants ship with the Exynos alternative.

It’s the reason why Apple has always been at loggerheads with Qualcomm over pricing of components.

But wait…freedom is coming tomorrow. Forget about Intel mobile SoCs, Samsung powered AMD SoCs are coming soon and Benchmarks show that the processors are showing SnapDragon dust.

https://m.hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/142174-amd-radeon-powered-samsung-socs-benchmarks-spotted/

2 Likes

It is very strange how Qualcomm has managed to bully multiple multibillion dollar companies for so long. Like compulsory 5g modems on all highend new chips etc.

2 Likes

Exynos 1000 with an AMD GPU, I’m eager to see how the market reacts to this as time goes by

Maybe the exynos with Amd GPU will pull me to get a Sammy prblm is they’re price their devices similar across the board which is unfair a Sammy with exynos chip shud be cheaper than one with Qualcomm

3 Likes

“People who are serious about software make their own hardware”

~Alan Kay