Why do people lean only on mobile when talking about tech locally?

I ask this because most people who talk about tech are always just talking about either mobile phones, mobile apps etc yet other than USSD the amount of money that has been made from mobile apps locally is pitiful to say the least.

The only meaningful contender in terms of total revenues locally has been USSD. And many apps that start as mobile apps rather than web apps then to mobile apps always end up failing or having less that 500 downloads.

You have to remember that Kenyans do not download Kenyan apps too.

Other than apps, bloggers also get tend to get confused that mobile phones are not the only technology. And that there is a different between a website and a web app. A website to a developer would be just a static site with a web app being more of an application served on the browser.

Even techweez has this disease especially by concentrating the word tech to mean “Let’s just talk about mobile apps and their specs”

Which are some of the local mobile app success stories?

1 Like

Have you come across this long-running meme?

I would say this has more to do with how sexy and “media-friendly” the talk on mobile apps is. I thank you for the feedback of what we call tech. We have been on a path to correct this and if you go through our editorial category you will notice more startups covered that are not doing mobile apps but other things as you mentioned. Take for example Oxynoia, Databank, Node Africa, Vitumob, TheCardguys and several others.
We are trying to get back on track.

The answer is in this[quote=“kelvinmutuma, post:1, topic:399”]
most people who talk about tech are always just talking about either mobile phones, mobile apps etc
[/quote]
That everyone seems to focus on the mobile phone to mean “tech” is because for most people this side of the world it is their first encounter with an advanced (i.e. not a calculator) computing device (financial inclusion in this country was very low before mobile money came on board so we can’t even talk of the ATM). Naturally, we tend to digress towards where the people are. That is where the interest is. Simply put, everyone, including bloggers and others, is responding to demand. And this is not even a Kenyan thing, it is probably a generational thing. It is the age we are living in. Technology is diverse. Even the equipment used in mechanization of agriculture, Kenya’s mainstay, is still tech. But guess what we’ll focus on? An m-farm app :grinning:. Because you are on the same page with your audience when refering to things they can relate to however complex.
For now, things are just skewed towards mobile not just because it is hot but because it is changing the lives of people in ways not imagined before. Even though mobile is just an island in a sea of many other technologies that the end user at this point isn’t that concerned about. However, this is the right place to start this conversation. We need to talk about that more, I agree. And if you can help shape such a conversation then please do, it’s an open platform. Once in a while we need to be nudged from our sleep.

Very true! Alex Muriu did a great piece on the same last year.

I’ve also noticed that tech talk is heavily biased towards end user experience (be it on mobile phones or Internet or app use). There is very little discussion on the back end of what makes tech advance or more efficient. People will talk of this new phone that can do 4G but not how vulnerable 4G flat radio and all IP architecture is to attacks. People will talk of how VSAT is now cheaper but not how the use of spot beams and improved spectral efficiency has led to that state. Etc etc. This is why when it comes to real deep back end stuff implementation the local scene is run by Indian and Chinese engineers.

Tom if industry insiders like you don’t talk about it, who will? Especially when it’s tech that people don’t interact with on the daily, or, say such questions don’t pop up usually.

1 Like