Who has ever received an Android security update?

Google has been releasing monthly security patches for Android since September last year. The usual suspects, Nexus device users, have been getting them ever since. Even though they committed to be passing on the updates to their devices, most Android device makers hardly ever keep their word when it comes to anything to do with releasing updates. Even those as critical as the ones Google releases monthly to fix critical bugs in the mobile operating system.

I have a Huawei Mate 8 in for review and yesterday was the first time I was getting an Android security update. That is despite having used several new devices between September 2015 and February 2016. None of those devices ever got such an update. So I ask, for those of you keen on such matters, have you ever gotten a monthly security patch on your device?

If you are lost as to what I am talking about and are on Android 5.x Lollipop or Android 6.0 Marshmallow then head over to your settings application and check the patch status under ‘Android security patch level’. That should show you the last time your device got its rightful treatment.

Why is this important? If any vulnerabilities identified by Google and other security experts have been fixed then you deserve to get them too. Or else you and your device are at risk.