Vilcom Fiber, great so far

My dad moved and got connected to Mtaani Fiber, kept complaining of slow speeds, plus their customer service is just bad. After months of kuvumilia a new provider Vilcom Fiber moved to the area and dad got connected to their 30mbps package. It’s been a month so far and honestly this provider is reliable, their speeds have been consistent with minimal downtimes. Everytime I visit I end up extending my stay lol

Interesting thing is they get their internet from Telkom Kenya

2 Likes

Wait till more people get connected that’s when the level of service is bound to take a pounding…

This is my fear too but let’s wait and see

Interesting as they cover Ongata Rongai and have no FUPs. Maybe I’ve found a solution for a failover connection.

Would be interested to see tests during “high” usage times(evenings and weekends?) …I also understand it’s a long holiday for kids.
If you have an RPI laying around you could connect it and run tests using ansible or a py script or If you have a router/swtich/firewall that has such capabilities

1 Like

Agreed, wait and watch till other hoards it.

Adding to this could you find out who their upstream or tier 2 ISP is?
Simply do a

traceroute --as-path-lookups google.com

Then seach the ASXXXXX you get …

@Adrian_Teri Currently don’t have a Pi but let me see what I can do

1 Like

What’s their contention ratio? Anything above 3:1 is a throw.

I asked about this earlier and they said they don’t have any contention ratio or capping. This is a first, coz yenyewe bro tells me their net so far has had very minimal downtime.

1 Like

Seems promising up till now.

Info on this …

Their upstream is WIOCCwiocc.net & CMI China Mobile International …

WIOCC has a 10G link at #KIXP

CMI has 10G links at both #KIXP and Asteroid Mombasa…

Also interesting there is no #FUP language anywhere. However, these unlimited* makes me think otherwise …

Addendum: Added China Mobile Telecom as the other Upstream of Vilcom Networks

1 Like

Yes, and no contention ratios. What a deal.

Do a speed test on https://www.speedtest.net/ and run pick multiple international servers like in UK, US etc… That way you’ll see the true international speed. Local servers will always give you full speed.