Transsion Holdings: A lazy developer

So, where to start? Hmm…how many of you own Tecno or Infinix devices? I am an aggrieved user of two Tecno devices currently, The Phantom 9 and the Spark 3 Pro. It pains me that I went through the process of saving up momey in order to buy the Phantom 9, a device with 128 gigs of storage which at the time had an asking price that simply left me speechless.
Problem is, these companies do not send OTA updates, a business move that is a real menace. In order to enjoy newer Android versions with newer features, you simply have to buy a new phone that comes with a newer system out-of-the-box. I also purchased the Spark 3 Pro, because I was astounded last year in March when it made it to the shortlist of devices that were on Android 10’s beta list.
It’s been almost a year now, and that device has never received the OTA for Android 10. They are still ‘beta-testing’ the software as they claim (since late November last year), with 2000 users worldwide; a complete joke given that the device’s sales in Kenya alone almost quadruple that number. The move to list that phone last year now seems to have been nothing but a ‘hey me too!’ moment; a publicity stunt. I am tired.

If you have half a mind to grab a new phone, forget about any of Transsion Holdings products I tell you. Just trash. Share your thoughts.

Let me get this straight. Your issue is not with the Hardware per se but on the frequency of updates. We can therefore conclude that the phones you have mentioned are not trash but Support Services are more or less non existent.

Well, I am not an Infinix user per se, never owned one. But have bought for several other guys. So far the Phones are okay.

The phones are okay hardware wise.Its just that the software update model is not supportive of their overall business model of selling more units with every new phone model.If they provided software updates for existing devices,they would definitely sell less units as users would not be compelled to upgrade their phone hardware since they can get new features with the new software updates.So dont expect Transsion holdings to change their software update policy for a majority of their most popular brands.

My Point Exactly. This is generally an issue with most android devices. The Manufacturers have a planned shelf life of 1 year. After 1 year you are ‘encouraged’ to get a newer device.

Infinix tries but they are very unpredictable in updates

It’s the same company 🤦🏽.

That’s why am saying Infinix tries in sending updates, tecno mostly never updates their phones

Their best device (Infinix) was the Infinix Note 5 that came with Android One. That was a one time project that they have not repeated again, that device got all the updates early and it was so good software wise. No bloat or advertisements. And any app that came pre-installed from them could be uninstalled.

1 Like

Yeah. That was their best device in terms of software. It even received the Android 10 upgrade a couple of weeks ago. There’s noise in some groups created by moderators of the companies over WhatsApp about software updates coming after the celebrations of the Chinese new year but I think nothing will change. I’m saving up to buy a Samsung. Damn Transsion and their stupid business moves.

Don’t thank them for sending updates to an Android One device. Android One is pure Android, which means that it is stock. Updates roll from Google directly, regardless of whether the phone is a Nokia or Alcatel or Infinix. In most cases, the OEM does not have to to anything, they just pass the Android One update to you… I have never owned a Tecno or Infinix. I am a Xiaomi guy. So far so good. I got my phone with MIUI which had Android 9. Now I have Android 10. In fact, my phone has some features that were not there when I first bought it such as Ultrapowet mode. Couldn’t be happier

Nobody is thanking them. OEMs take longer to send OTAs but not as long as Transsion does. It’s been three months now since they opened doors for ‘beta-testing’ of Android 10 on the Tecno Spark 3 Pro. Beta-testing implies that the software in question is nearing completion to Alpha stage where it can now be rolled out. Does it really take more than 3 months to beta-test. Surely not. Xiaomi on the other hand sent an OTA for Android 10 to the Mi A2 filled with bugs. They sent patches to attempt to fix the bugs over OTA a few days later. See?

2 Likes

I dont even understand how Transsion was able to develop my favorite app of 2020, the Boomplay Music app :sweat_smile:

I’m baffled too😂.