"Test1-1 4G" Network

So while I was playing around with my phone today I did a network search. I got this “Test1-1 4G” network among the list of available networks.
The signal was faint coz when I did the search a second time it didn’t show up. Did it again at 4 pm and got it again.
Am eager to find out what this network might be., ama it’s the one last year Liquid Telecom and the consortium were awarded the license for?

1 Like

For those who use Equitel, does it have 4G? I’m wondering if that could be it.

1 Like

Most of my friends with Equitel , use a very basic phone mostly even limited to 2G since the platform is USSD (hope i am right) based kama MPESA.

Unless I change simcards ndiyo nijue but it always picks up 3G tu.

So had a chat with a guy on Twitter who has a contact in the CA and according to the info he got the signal is from Loon
Checked on flightradar24 on active Loon balloons but both active ones are in South America
So maybe Loon chose not to have the balloons on flightradar for the commercial launch, or the signal is from a terrestrial site., we still need more info though

!

Hebu muulize what’s up with Faiba and why are they still operating such a poor Network at their watch…

1 Like

One year later and still nothing from Loon
Anyway, I was doing some troubleshooting trying to use my Faiba line after a long while then after doing a manual network search I got this 639 12 network
I’m not sure if it’s the same Test1-1 4G network that’s just changed codes coz this is a different device, or maybe it’s a whole different network altogether
I’m hungry for answers

I saw a tweet that they scrapped the project in a number of places not sure Kenya is there.

2 Likes

I did a net search again 2 days ago and it’s changed to 639 11

According to CA it belongs to WiAfrica

1 Like

Guys do a network search wherever you are, 639 11 is showing in Ongata Rongai on 3G. A pal in Limuru hit me up saying he’s seeing the network on 3G and had me searching

It’s there.

1 Like

Did Google scrap project loon or was it the free wifi project(i think they called it “station”)?

It’s still there apparently hindered by long regulatory procedures https://www.mobileworldlive.com/featured-content/top-three/alphabet-loon-project-yet-to-fly-in-kenya/

1 Like

The President says they have been testing for last two years …No mention of “hurdles”

Says the move was prompted by gesture by #Telkom and #Google in enhancing surveillance and management of the health challenge caused by #covid19

It would be very stupid of the president to say that his government has been fighting innovation by erecting hurdles, even if there were hurdles. Telkom & Google just used the current situation to get the process fast tracked(greasing the palm in a legal and acceptable way).

2 Likes

No mention of hurdles but Itumbi’s tweet shows something was wrong somewhere. Dude was at Statehouse before being kicked out recently and a crony to some of the Government parastatals