#TeamLinux, what's your favourite Linux distro and why?

For everyone who has embraced a world without Windows on the desktop, there are few alternatives. Linux is one of the most attractive ones out there. Since it happens that there are several distributions of Linux, which one do you use and why?

I use Kubuntu on my HP laptop (which is also a dual-screen desktop replacement, with a real keyboard and mouse. I’m using the 14.04 LTS version - and will probably upgrade to 16.04 LTS in a couple of months time. I never go for the latest version - I like to allow a year or so for a new version to stabilise :wink:

Why? - I like KDE. I like it’s ‘integratedness’ I don’t need special programs for most things - KDE’s apps just work together beautifully. The non-KDE stuff I use in addition would be Libreoffice, Google Chrome, GIMP, VLC, Choqok, and LibreCAD

I also have a home-built sort-of laptop built around a Novena ARM CPU with Debian ‘Jessie’

Finally, I have an old Compaq desktop with Lubuntu on it (which is a great lightweight version for older PCs)

As this thread is about desktops, I won’t get into what I do with servers :wink: - that’s for another day :smiley:

3 Likes

Just Ubuntu Server for work, no licenses to Microsoft to deploy on VMs.

I am a big fan of Linux Mint with Cinnamon. It’s stable being based on Ubuntu, has an active community, full multimedia support out of the box and Cinnamon is one of the prettiest desktop environments out there.

Special mention has to go to Fedora and CentOS, various versions of which I will have running to support work projects.

1 Like

Now you people have me interested in Linux Mint, who can share on their experience setting up Windows 10/Linux Mint Dual boot?

It’s a fairly straightforward procedure involving partitioning your existing hard drive and booting up the installation media.

From there it is point and click and success!

Mint with Cinnamon is also what I dual boot to. Very straightforward.

1 Like

Unusual flavour combination :wink: – What’s the recipe?

…but seriously, that would be my choice if I was new to Linux. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mimi sieziambiwa hivyo.

1 Like

There is an unwritten rule where you’re meant to install Windows first then your Linux distro since Linux distros are kinder and acknowledge existence of other OSes. :grin:
If you install Linux 1st then Windows, Windows will take over and there won’t be any dual boot option until you download some programs that install grub 1 or 2 onto your PC.
And while installing Linux 1st (my experience is mainly with Ubuntu), you get more customization on your partitions and which to automatically boot 1st.

2 Likes

There is a better alternative to dual-boot, which has not yet been mentioned.

Assuming your PC/laptop already has Windoze installed, just download vmware ‘Player’, and either download a ready 'virtual machine for the linux flavour of your choice (most are available) or create a blank vm, and install your chosen linux into the vm. You could also use Virtualbox instead of vmware player.

No ‘dual-booting’ necessary, and linux runs ‘within’ your Windoze

An added advantage of this ‘way of doing things’ is you can have many virtual machines, each with a different linux. Just don’t try to run them all at the same time! :wink:

1 Like

Actually the live pen-drive is all you need to get the dual booting option working again.

Yes, but you’ll have to boot from it then look for the codes to download grub. It’s just easier to install Ubuntu last if you have to option. :relaxed:

ON my personal laptop I have Kubuntu installed and duo-boot with deepin while at my work PC I’ve Linux mint mate edition. I used to use Opensuse like 2 years ago. So let me explain;

Linux mint is by far the most popular desktop linux distro out there. And it’s not hype. It’s because it’s a very very stable operating system. Linux mint is based off Ubuntu which rolls out with LTS (Long Term Support) edition. LTS version guarantee at least 5 year support, so things don’t change a lot like the other rolling edition which are for testing out bleeding edge technology.

The other thing is that Linux mint (the flagship OS) is based on the Mate desktop environment which is based off Gnome 2.x. If you have been a long-time Linux user from back in the day of Ubuntu 6, you know that Gnome up until 3.x version was the most stable desktop enviroment on any Linux system. From 3.0, Gnome introduced a lot of changes that pissed off developers to this day. I personally have never come to like it. But it ships with the likes of Fedora, Centos? and some other distros.

So Linux Mint is very stable and has a wide community. It also ships with a tone of very useful apps like VLC, it’s easy to install apps like skype, dropbox, chrome, filezilla, telegram, sublime text. Finally it comes with media codecs pre-installed so you can play music and movies of all formats out of the box. It’s awesome.

The other distro I have come to like is deepin. Deepin surprisingly is from (guess where?) China. Yes its chinese but pretty awesome. It comes with better UI and an App store with tones of applications to choose from (including some from the google play store). It’s easy to use and like Mint, very stable. It’s great for those who want another OS other than Windows.

Kubuntu is based off Ubuntu but with KDE desktop enviroment instead of Ubuntu’s Unity or Gnome 3.x. KDE especially KDE plasma is an incredibly robust DE with tones of useful tools and applications that often come out of the box. It ships with Dolphin which in my opinion is the most sophisticated, fast and feature-rich, Mac-like file explorer. It comes with all sorts of apps such as Gwenview image viewer, K3b CD/DVD/ISO bunner, firefox, great notification center among others. However, I find it slightly unstable than Unity, Gnome or Mate DEs.

Finally my old friend Opensuse is based off KDE DE. It comes with Dumbleweed which I think is their LTS-equivalent, and Leap which is the bleeding edge stuff. I used to use it because I loved KDE and nobody implemented it well enough until Kubuntu came in. But Opensuse also comes with YAST, a server configuration management tool which makes configuration things alot easier than using configuration files and Vim. They have slightly lost steam and each subsequent version kind of never worked well on my laptop, so I dropped them.

If you like Gnome DE, I would encourage guys to try out Fedora. Probably is it doesn’t have LTS version, so expect a new release every other year or so. If Fedora doesn’t cut it, then try Opensuse for the best intergration of KDE DE. If you want a nice and fancier desktop, then try out Deepin. But if you want a stable never changing desktop, then Linux Mint is your friend.

2 Likes

Point of clarification, Mint can also be setup with either Cinnamon, Xfce or KDE desktop environments.

On Deepin, a trick that Ive heard of although not tried is to install the desktop environment ontop of stock Ubuntu. This has the double advantage of Ubuntu’s timely updates paired with a slick desktop that feels like Mac OS.

Exclusively run Arch.

DE is Gnome

You might run into problems with UEFI boot unless you know your way around Grub editing and all that. I had problems dualbooting mint 17 and windows 10, on a samsung series 5 laptop because Windows writes its boot differently in the UEFI thing.
Anyways, I managed but I have to switch the two OSes via bio. I change to boot order since Windows created its “boot” selected as part of the SDD and HDD CDROM list in bios.
I put windows on top to boot into windows, or I put it last and the machine boots into Mint 17.

computer runs hot because of the load, but its a nifty idea.