Showmax with VPN

So after being convinced about the cost vs benefit of having showmax, I have decided to subscribe to it. Problem is I route all my internet traffic via VPN. I have a firestick and the VPN is always on so I don’t have to reconnect manually upon every restart. Shock on me when I find that showmax does work with the VPN I use. Does anyone know a workaround? And why do they have make VPNs not work with it? I mean if the best steaming sites out there accept VPNs then why are these ones feeling themselves this much?

I use Fire stick and I have not needed to use VPN with it. How different is your set up?

It could be that Showmax is licensed to stream contect restricted to Africa and you VPN to a location outside Africa?

Well I stream content that is mostly not available in Africa so my VPN is always running on firestick. I thought Showmax would fall in like but it does not. I actually cancelled the subscription because I did not think it is worth the hustle. Can’t be disconnecting and reconnecting the VPN everytime I need to switch between streaming apps.

Nope. Tried SA where Showmax has a huge market but they still block any VPN like activity.

Showmax is limited to only the countries it’s active in, and unfortunately the big markets aren’t. I remember downloading movies on phone to watch on the plane when flying. Shock on me. It validates via the IP address.

Why did you opt for Showmax?

They had an offer of Kes 1,000 for one year.

Still do, and I don’t see a reason why I shouldn’t keep that subscription active. It has good cartoons and enough shows from the past that I want to binge.

Showmax is that gift that keeps on giving bana…they got some new additions.

I think it’s the reason they decided to change the pricing, after signing up new content, and may have more live games, which if it happens will be a big deal.

Looks like they have geo-restricted their content. If you’d like to have VPN for all your devices, except for the firestick, some people run x2 routers, one configured with the VPN, while the other without. Others who got advanced routers can accomplish that within a single router, e.g. with ASUS routers. You can configure it to have multiple VPN connections US, UK etc…, and have a pass-through device that doesn’t go through a VPN, in your case, you’d tell the router not to VPN the firestick, then anytime you’d like the firestick to go through a VPN, simply login to the router and tell the router which VPN connection you’d like firestick to use.

Any specific router recommendations…
Have been hunting for one to use VPN on …

1 Like

I use this XIAOMI Mi 4A Router Gigabit Edition, you can set up multiple PPTP or L2TP connections, only one can be active at a time.

Got it on Jumia, bought this one, but got the 4A Gigabit Version.

1 Like

An explanation from Asus about the feature (Called VPN Fusion)… https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1033907/

VPN Fusion is available in their high-end router, I think because VPN requires a good processor, since they are designed to support multiple concurrent VPNs. Not sure if their lower tier routers support it.

They also have a nice mobile app to allow you to control bandwidth, e.g. if someone is taking up all the bandwidth in the network, you can limit the person’s upload / download speed. Of course it can be done with the router’s web UI, but it’s been made easier with the mobile app. The bandwidth management feature can work with their lower tier routers, it’s only VPN Fusion that is supported with their higher-tier routers.