Safaricom 5G trials in Kenya

Redmi Note 10 5G.

I didn’t check but from previous experience, 5G downs a gigabyte for about 3 tests.

This happens when the 5G signal is weak.

1 Like

That goes to show the viability of 5G in Kenya. If almost 9 months after launch, 5G is barely available at Safaricon’s HQ…

Yes, i have a few friends who have been crying over this for the past few months. Unless for your case you don’t experience this?

Some days back Safaricom were replacing the old routers with the new ones. Since i was an old subscriber with an old router, they called, came over and replaced mine with the new one. Ever since then I’ve noticed the router displays two SSIDs. My kawaida SSID and another one with the same SSID but with “5G” added at the end.

Does this mean the routers are 5G ready? Anyone to shed some light on this? My phone isnt 5G ready so i can’t test it.

Well they use 5Ghz which is a WiFi Band for Home Networks.

This is not to be confused with 5G for Mobile Networks.

3 Likes

@Stiffler254 So why display two SSIDs from the same router, is there any advantage of using one SSID over the other?

The 2.4GHz band offers coverage at a longer range; however, it transmits data at slower speeds. Instead, the 5GHz band gives less coverage but sends data at faster speeds.

Some older devices only support 2.4GHz so you have no real choice…

Basically if you in good range and your device supports it, better to connect to 5GHz…

3 Likes

That’s the 5GHz band

1 Like

4G Vs 5G…

1 Like

I just hope that people dont fall for it.

this is too low for 5G…We should be talking minimum speeds of 500Mbps or 1Gbps…Anything else is a fraud

Yeah, I know. But issa an Upgrade nonetheless.

Though in reality what we are exitedly calling 5G is simply 4G, while 4G is 3G and so forth…

Edit:
And as you can see in the Pics, this is precisely what I sought out to show… That currently 5G is actually 4G (Speedwise)

Yep,i agree with you on that.

Picked 5G signal on Southern Bypass between Airtel and Langata Road. Didn’t do a speed test.

In addition, It’s important to consider 5GHz, it has 23 non-overlapping channels, especially if you’re in a congested area such as an apartment and don’t want to bishana with neighbours asking them to to conform to one of the non-overlapping channels (1,6 or 11) for 2.4 GHz and/or reduce their signal strength (Tx power)…

Heck it might not even be their routers causing interference as wireless Mice/Keyboards, Microwaves, Car Alarms etc share this space

Which app/platform are you getting these details from? I’m curious.

Netmonster

NEW: You can now access Safaricom 5G’s network on the OPPO Reno6 5G. The phone launched without access to 5G but a new update has now opened up its 5G capabilities.

I have a request, could you please export and upload this NVRAM configurations for me of the oppo Reno 6 5G using modem meta

Why do you want someone else’s IMEI?