Quick Charge 5. Zero to a hundred real quick

So Qualcomm caved under pressure from BBK Electronics and improved QC4 capability by 4X!

BBK owns companies such as Oppo, Oneplus, & Vivo, and the company’s Super Vooc charge has been recycled as “Super Flash” and “Warp charge” by Vivo and Oneplus, respectively. Since it’s a proprietary technology, it is tweaked to only work with each subsidiary, but their devices do not support relatively slow Quick Charge from Qualcomm.

Thanks to Quick Charge 5, we will no longer drool over Super Vooc. The former was announced yesterday, and is advertised to support over 100 watts of juice. Allegedly, charging 4500 mAh batttery will take 15 minutes from 0 to 100%. 0-50% will take 5 minutes. This is achieved through splitting battery into two or three segments, with power bricks supporting up to 20 volts & 5 (or more) Amps. Despite the high voltage (source of heat), the new tech will keep the battery 10 degrees cooler than QC4.

QC5 is also backward compatible up to QC2. I don’t know about you but, from next year, battery capacity will no longer matter among mid-rangers and flagships as they strive to compete with Oppos (Najua Xiaomi will among the first with K40 pro or something :grin:)

1 Like

I wonder what this will mean about the long term battery health as fast charging tends to degrade it.

1 Like

The idea here is that the battery isn’t fast charged at 100watts. Instead, the battery is divided into smaller bits with each receiving a fraction of the charge.

For example. You have a 3000mAh battery. Split it to 3 bits of 1000mAh. Each cell can safely be charged up to 30watts.

So you have this 90watts charger that charges each cell at 30watts. Theoretically, the whole battery will look like it’s being charged at 90watts, yet in actual sense, it’s the individual cells being charged at 30watts.

That’s how SuperVOOC works and I believe Qualcomm works the same way.

2 Likes

They achieve that by splitting battery cells. Just google the new Lenovo Legion device that does 90W charging. Check it out on GSMArena and you’ll kind of understand that concept.