postmarketOS - "A real Linux distribution for phones"

From the link:

We are sick of not receiving updates shortly after buying new phones. Sick of the walled gardens deeply integrated into Android and iOS. That’s why we are developing a sustainable, privacy and security focused free software mobile OS that is modeled after traditional Linux distributions. With privilege separation in mind. Let’s keep our devices useful and safe until they physically break!

TL;DR A Linux distro for smartphones that no longer receive manufacturer support. It’s lightweight and firmware support comes straight out of the box.

The project is still in alpha so expect bugs and spotty support.

Ok I don’t know if its supposed to be consumer focused(general public) …

I worry if they have sufficient funds… I think(buzz on #Reddit and #Youtube) the Librem 5 by Purism(Based on Gnome) would be a more suitable product as they can cover some cost by producing a product that can be purchased which also includes #Linux laptops.

They have the same spirit even in hardware going as far as disabling #intel (ME)Management Engine to hardware kill switches for cameras/microphones and wireless antennaes.

It’s still in alpha though the goal is a plug and play OS for smartphones.

Seems like these are old school hackers so its not about the funding. Intending to support smartphone hardware for up to ten years already shows this isn’t a money thing.