Port Forwarding

Am trying to setup port forwarding on the Safaricon Home Fiber Router to no success. Anyone know how to get it to work…?!

Just don’t …Also Please disable UPnP(aka Unplug ‘n’ Pray) if it’s enabled.

I have no idea but I have a question for you: where did you buy that router? I am interested in buying one and I cannot find it at the local Safaricom shop.

Care to Expound…?!

Loll.
Which Router…
Just using the normal Safaricom Router issued to Fiber Subscribers…

Port Forwarding == Exposing the device/software to the internet. Now the internet will have access to you just like how Google and others have web crawlers(shodan is an equivalent to them) for websites.

Valid argument there… Nonetheless you still use Google, knowing fully well how much you are exposing yourself…
:sweat_smile:

Some years back I used shodan , I was able to access numerous Zuku clients routers since they had default logins . So many vulnerable devices especially those with default logins .

I may have explained poorly or you not gotten it. I likened the Web crawlers to Shodan searches in that web crawlers crawl the WWW and index them. Similarly Shodan is a search engine that crawls and indexes all devices connected to the internet(aka internet facing) including their open ports. The problem is if your device/software is vulnerable or not secure …But why would you allow anyone on the internet to poke and prod your devices :weary:?

The WWW and Internet (Interconnected Networks) are different things though the terms are used interchangeably. The WWW is a way to use/access internet (via HTTP) but you can do so in various other ways/protocols like SMTP(e-mail), FTP etc…

An vid from nullbyte on shodan use …

You are protected by NAT(Network Address Translation Protocol) and the fact you can’t route some addresses publicly. It makes anything behind your router not visible to the world(Your 192.168.XXX.XXX or 10.XXX.XXX.XX). Another interface handles the “publicly” routable IP given by your ISP e.g For #SafHome customers mostly 41.80XXX.XXX or #SafBusinnes 197.248.XXX.XXX …By port forwarding you are punching a hole on your NAT …longer explanation here

If you are looking for a secure sharing mechanism e.g for Mine-craft servers, NAS boxes etc hosted in your home I would suggest you look into Zerotier. They have a favourable offering of 100 devies doing so free …

2 Likes

This well Detailed n clear enough…
Zerotier sorted me out. Thanks…