Planned Obsolescence and Buying long-lasting Stuff

Hello guys. I hate replacing technology (phones, household items, etc)

I used to think it was a joke that TVs, bicycles, and fridges used to last 5 decades or more.

With the internet, we have more exposure to how companies intentionally use poor quality materials to get you back in the store in a few months, how Apple sent updates to slow down older phones, Samsung downgrading the S line displays (except at the ultra option), my Poco F1 has a better camera sensor than Poco F3, etc.

This linked video is an in-depth look into what corporations do to maintain the consumption culture
Why we can’t have nice things

That said, I am looking to buy a new phone this year, I don’t care for or trust OEM updates. So I am looking for something with Snapdragon (for custom ROM action). It needs a beefy storage 256/512GB, sd card slot, amoled, headphone jack. I plan to use it for at least 5 years (I hate buying new gadgets because I customize things a lot).

I am also looking to upgrade my smartwatch (fitness watch) from Amazfit Bip (Budget around 20k) The battery should last at least 1 week, display should be amoled or TFT. Being able to reply to text or whatsapp from the watch (amazfit doesn’t) would be awesome. Although I doubt I will get reply function and good battery life.

Also (for next year), what are your recommendations for very long-lasting TVs (55 inch around 50k), Music systems (around 20k), full-sized fridges (around 40k), and pressure cookers (less than 20k)?

You did not state your budget but the new Samsung A52 & A72 meet almost all of your requirements. High refresh rate AMOLED screens, SD card slot (not dedicated though), headphone jack and up to 256 GB storage with 8GB RAM.

Replacement parts and accessories should also be easy to find due to their popularity.

You might not even need to bother with custom ROMs with these phones.

Last month, Samsung announced that all Galaxy phones and tablets will receive security updates for 4 years.

Samsung revealed that all Galaxy smartphones and tablets will receive security updates for a minimum of four years after their release, and the policy extends to devices as far back as 2019.

For the first two years, Samsung provides devices with monthly security updates (pending delays by carrier partners and may vary by device), and then devices are dropped down to quarterly updates. Samsung publicly lists this information on a website. During this added fourth year, Samsung will be providing “regular” security updates, meaning they could only occur once or twice during that year.

Source

The high-end A series (A5x, A7x) phones also seem to be covered by Samsung’s three major Android updates policy. The A50, launched in Q1 2019 running on Android 9, is currently upgradable to Android 11.

It should also get Android 12 sometime next year as it’s last major update. Security updates will continue for another year.

Source

1 Like

POCO F2 pro

I will spend about 50k on a phone

Does poco f2 have any features superior to Poco f3?

Not really the POCO F3 lacks a headphone jack but makes up for it with a 120Hz display

Plus a flagship level processor