Opera Mini becomes ShareiT. Do you still use it?

All of us have a soft spot for Opera Mini browser. The app single-handedly revolutionized how people accessed the internet back in the day. It was small, fast and could run in multiple devices, esp those running Symbian. The same popularity moved it to the early smartphone era, and for good reason, it survived. It was still small, and users preferred it because it was not a data hog. Also, very few phones could manage Chrome back then, and for me, performance issues are the only reason that made me a loyal user.

However, we know what happened: the folks running the app decided to mint some money from it. Obviously, this was a wrong move, but can we really blame them in a world where every tool is monetized? The ads were a little too much, not to mention other bloatification features that came afterward.

Those who use it to date may have noticed the app picked a file-sharing feature. It is offline, so you can easily share huge materials between phones without downloading a dedicated file sharing app like ShareiT or Xender.

I’m not sure if this is a big deal to the target audience, but to me, it is really not. I do not share files with people anymore, nor do I know people close to me who want that feature.

"Offline file sharing and its accelerated file transfer speed are made possible through a direct Wi-Fi connection which Opera Mini establishes seamlessly with nearby devices. This means that Opera Mini creates a temporary private network which provides a fast and secure transfer of files between devices.

“To start sending or receiving files, go to File Sharing in the menu and choose Send or Receive . Opera Mini will display a QR code for the nearby device to scan, connecting the devices. Once a file is successfully transferred, the sender will be notified and the receiver will be able to access the file in the Received tab shown in Opera Mini.”

Understandably, there are thousands of people who may deem file sharing features in a browser appropriate, and I am certain they will appreciate it.

The big question still is, do you use Opera Mini?

I still use it alot duw to it’s extreme data saving feature