Only Safaricom has 4G in Kenya (4G ≠ LTE)

I need to address the confusion that exists in Kenya regarding 4G and LTE. True 4G specifications include a maximum of 1Gb/s downloads and 500Mb/s upload speed on stationary reception and a minimum of 100Mb/s down for mobile devices.

However, when 4G was introduced, its true specifications were a challenge for most telcos to achieve in early 2010s. This issue led to the introduction of LTE. Technically, LTE is inferior to 4G, and it basically means that a telco is working towards true 4G (the reason it means “Long Term Evolution”).

4G LTE-A was later introduced with minimum downloads of 100Mb/s for mobile devices. This is the only revision that can be considered true 4G, and only Safaricom has deployed it in Kenya (In form of 4G+). All other telcos are operating on LTE which is way below true 4G speeds.

However, Safaricom is also a culprit of this confusion by marketing 4G+ as “faster than 4G.” See their description below…

Always know that 4G is always better than LTE and, in many cases, LTE-A (4G+). Don’t be fooled. Now, when is Telkom and Airtel deploying true 4G? Most likely they might deploy 4G (read “4G+”) and 5G at the same time…

Also, is your device ready for true 4G (LTE-A specification)? In kenya you need a device that has LTE-A and supports band 3 and 20 (1800 MHz and 800 MHz) to enjoy Safaricom’s 2CA 4G+.

2 Likes

well,4G or not,i dont really care much…considering most real world applications just need a decent broadband speed of 20Mbps going up i think even with decent coverage,3G HSPA+ still rocks.I dpnt buy into the 5G,4G hype unless we have real world uses where 4G/5G really deliver breakthrough especially on the bandwidth side.

1 Like

Am glad you mentioned bandwidth cuz that the whole point of True 4G. To achieve true 4G, telcos are forced to aggregate LTE carrier components. This process is known as carrier aggregation (CA). 3GPP specifies that up to five carrier components can be aggregated for up to 100MHz network bandwidth, which is not possible in non-aggregated LTE.

Aggregation can be intraband (contiguous components) or interband (non-contiguous like Safaricom’ band 3 and 20). Currently, Safaricom’s carrier component aggregation increases its network bandwidth to 40MHz.

Aggregation increases bandwidth and deals with congestion, a common occurrence in LTE networks. So, you should be worried about LTE if you care about bandwidth and network congestion.

My question is since 4G+ speeds require carrier aggregation (making use of two or more LTE bands for faster speeda) will networks like airtel and telkom ever get 4G+ beacuse they only use band 20 at the moment

There are two types of aggregation: Intraband and Interband. Intraband involves aggregating carrier components from the same band. However, the reason Airtel and Telkom will have get license for another band to incorporate LTE-A is because band 20 carrier components can’t be aggregated. That’s why Safaricom uses CA_3A-20A (B3+B20) interband non-contiguous.

1 Like

honestly i tried to explain this on this forum a while ago some guy called roboto couldnt even let me finish a sentence

1 Like