Oneplus Nord. Midrange Killer or Hype?

I know Oneplus cares less about what Kenyans have to say, but, do you guys think Nord is worth it or it’s just hype? In my opinion Nord could have made more sense at around 30-35k converted, or if it was just a repackaged Oneplus 8 Pro with SD765.

For 400 euros, one can get a great device from previous flagships or even Oneplus’ own 7T. In Marques’ hands-on review, he seemed to suggest that even the camera is not that good (Like Oneplus had suggested it’s similar to 8 Pro). But I think it is necessary to notify other OEMs that have assumed midrange devices don’t have to be good.

Where is Nokia by the way? It used to be good at this price category.

1 Like

better buy the older oneplus 7, as for Nokia they completely lost it after the Nokia 7 plus. in the mean time lets wait and see what the new Nord product line will offer , am hoping to see $200 and $300 smartphones to compete with the xiaomi’s Redmi and Mi series

3 Likes

The phone itself is very solid and could be a mid-range killer globally - maybe first world countries? - as it is dubbed. However, it is doubtful the phone would be a mid-range killer for countries like Kenya. I feel like a mid-range device here in Kenya is way below Kshs. 50,000 (The One-plus Nord is 399 euros which is Kshs. 50,075.65 - plus extra costs importation fees and re-seller’s profit margin). It would make more sense that with Kshs 40k - 50k someone here would buy a flagship from previous years - like a Samsung Note 9.

2 Likes

Oppo Reno 3 Pro twin. Nothing special about it.

Shida ni ma refurb tuu utapata usipochunga. Getting a new device is hard. Hapa Kenya watu wako na pesa.

Those flagship phones usually go out of stock. Tried that with Note 9 na hakuna Samsung store or authorized dealer nilipata. Did the same with Note 5 in 2016 (Around November). Nilitafuta nikachoka.

Decided to settle with mid-range devices bora it meets my built quality criterion, I’m in.

2 Likes

it’s hype for me.

2 Likes

For me, the OnePlus Nord is a true application of the mantra Never Settle. SD765G is a solid SoC, and the fact that it imports the 90Hz fluid AMOLED and FastCharge from the flagship OnePlus 8, it’s a good device. Amazing even. Shida ni the 400 euro price tag. Lakini watu wako na pesa Kenya, and the fact that OnePlus promises 2years of software upgrades and one more of monthly security patches, there’s a very good possibility of Safaricom 5G launching in that time frame. Plus, it’s difficult to find a 5G device in that price range; angalia tu Nokia.

3 Likes

Sahii Kenya mid-rangers zinacheza tu price range ya OnePlus Nord. Ona ata hii remote inaitwa Tecno, nonsense SoC on the Camon 15 Premier, a nonsense array of cameras, battery inaeza jumpstart gari na ni 27k. Perfect waste of money but skia tu hio bei.
But I agree with you, it would make more sense to get a flagship from previous years, not unless you just want to jump on the 5G wagon.

Unfortunately, the OnePlus Nord has a plastic frame and plastic chassis. Definitely, not a mid-range killer.

1 Like

its just pure hype so far

I honestly don’t think it’s just empty hype. The device is pretty decent, and OnePlus have done good, real good considering the ever rising prices of devices out there.
Heck, look at even the new ‘flagship killer’ from POCO. That phone has top notch flagship features, but still a plastic chassis, and of all things, a 60Hz screen. Just a no-no there.
SD765G doesn’t fare too bad too on AnTuTu

2 Likes

Nord plastic chassis too. At the same price, I’d rather go with a Huawei Nova 5T, which has better build quality and 35% cheaper. As for the specs (processor, RAM, storage), unless you’re a gamer, mid-range phones have decent performance capabilities.

2 Likes

I was really hyped for this but the price tag issa no. It’s just an Oppo Reno 3 Pro, with a SD 765 G chip and then slapped Oxygen OS. The two extra cameras(Depth + Macro) are completely useless.And it has a plastic frame. I was really disappointed in this and the fact that they were marketing the camera as a flagship makes me want to puke. It means One Plus is starting play the corporate bulshit

Sadly, that’s the reality. They hyped an Oppo Reno 3 :joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Felt like way too much hype, product was underwhelming. Only thing your paying for is OxygenOS. Pixel 4a is being announced today. One day before OnePlus Nord online order go live :joy:, Boss move by Google. That Google Camera tech will be worth the price

5 Likes

Its only a midrange phone in UK and USA. It doesnt cut it as a flagship in Kenya. If I had that money. MI Note 10 Pro for the 108MP Camera, Galaxy S10 Lite or Galaxy Note 10 Lite.