Netflix now in Kenya, Nigeria and other parts of Africa, what changes now?

Netflix is here, and this changes many things. Let’s look at the things that get affected.

• VPN Players lose a whole lot of business from those who were using them exlusively for Netflix.

• Content players in Africa like DStv, get the challenge of keeping high end customers who were there for the soaps and not necessarily sports.

• Media consumption on mobile and tablets takes new shapes, I guess there’s some of us who can sacrifice data bundles for some good new stream.

• Less torrenting, you know Orange in the new black, House of Cards et al. Or could be more as people get to download their movies.

Interesting tweets here:

https://twitter.com/tommakau/status/684969201283547140

https://twitter.com/GrantBrooke/status/684980616081883136

If Netflix can be bundled in a way that I won’t have to go out of my way to access it then as a consumer i would consider it. What I mean is, I should conveniently be able to pay for it for example through M-pesa, they should at least recommend some trusted internet to go with it for example a partnership with Zuku or Safaricom and then let me pay for the internet and their services as one thing. I don’t know what others think but that’s the only way i can get to use Netflix, else my movie guy is still the better option.

The success of “Netflix Everywhere” will determine the future of Geo restriction of Hollywood content. Once the major studios see that Netflix is raking the money, the old way of content distribution will change. That barrier is what restricts start up entrants to the multimedia space. In fact I can easily see Google striking a deal with content providers to allow content streaming via YouTube Red globally.

As WeshPierre3 rightly pointed, Netflix must make it convenient to for users here to access and pay for their service. Doing this is the first step to making piracy obsolete.

Now Kenya Film Classifications Board wants to meet Netflix regarding their content.
This can be good or bad, depending on what outcome it gets. For one, video on demand means users actively seek out the content. It’s like Youtube, you search or subscribe to the videos you wish to access, so limiting any because there are policies means inconveniencing those who seek out.

There is a pro that could come off this. That of the local content. If you remember, Kenya sometime back enforced the 40% local content. What that means is that should KFCB pursue that then we will see Netflix actively seeking out to air local content or even actively develop Kenyan content. They did a shoot for Sense8 in Kenya, so this won’t be a first.

It’s great but the cost of internet makes it not a suitable alternative for users on broadband modems. Before the service was available in Kenya I had to use a VPN. In a nutshell Access to Netflix per month was about 6,200 using an Orange Stick 1,000, 4,000 (1 week unlimited), 1,200 Netflx. (Why 1 week unlimited? Orange has a FUP limit of 10GB for 1 week and 20GB for 1 month) If you’re on some fiber connectivity then 12 USD only is great! Probably some TELCO will come up with unlimited package for viewing Netflix like the DSTV one on Safaricom. Let’s wait and see.

And now you bring an interesting angle that one had not thought about. Though I use Safaricom mostly nowadays since they intro-d the 3GB bundle for 1k, it’s good to know how better to leverage the “unlimited” offers, once in a while I may use it.

Hi Martin. Maybe you should try the “Home talk” tariff. 50GB for 4k. Its supposed to be “unlimited” but we know what that means nowadays. You also need a flybox router.

Does that make the connection more stable or how is it different from using the smartphone to tether?

Its not about stability. Its meant for the home and business users. A similar bundle on the phone or modem costs KES 6,750. Plus you get some talk time.

I think for me I’ll unsubscribe to the service. There is a lot of free content out there. I liked Netflix because of the ability to scale down the quality which saves me on data. But I’ve gotten other sources that allow me to do the same and they offer better content for free.

The success of Netflix is based on how accessible is the internet. Whether they make it easy for people to make payments and the internet remains expensive with options available from Zuku having speeds on paper and not in practicality unless you pay for 20mbps and up, its going to be a challenge and I see Netflix winding up soon.

However, ISPs can provide a Netflix ONLY internet package so that people can survive on daily bundles whilst knowing that they have paid 1K for Netflix only. Airtel is at a good position to do this but I see them sleeping on their ears.

Innovation in pricing by the ISP is the only way netflix can achieve meaningful growth. Also @deewinc A few days ago, I tweeted a question to the kenyan ISPs about a “netflix bundle” only airtel replied. Check this out:

reply:

Meanwhile Iroko TV is closing more funding to get the content game up.

Entertainment and internet TV platform iROKO, has today announced it has signed multiple deals totaling $19m, both in content development and in capital funding from Kinnevik AB, its existing investor and French media giant CANAL+ to scale its operations and expand aggressively across the continent.

As part of this deal, Jacques du Puy, President of Canal+ Overseas will join the iROKO board.

iROKO will use the cash to bolster its local content financing and production, as well as its product and engineering teams in Lagos and New York. The firm aims to produce at least 300 hours of original content in 2016, and double it by 2018.

http://techmoran.com/iroko-closes-on-19m-content-capital-deals/

Guys,Netflix is gunning for global growth,they just launched in 130 countries.Surely give them a break,locally they are not even a threat to anyone,i estimate they have less than 50,000 subscribers in Kenya,which is fine for them,i mean thats at most 350,000dollars gained monthly with no local offices or extra localization costs.Thats only one country in africa…imagine the potential they have now for global growth.

IpidiTV by Liquid Telecom comes in to that same space and may make a slight impact.