NAS (Network Attached Storage) and home server

I normally keep all my important stuff in my laptop, I also have all my media in my laptop. I have some few items stored in an online back up – only the very important ones.
Recently, I have been considering an affordable solution to my storage issue: my laptop is fast filling up; I am kind of held down if someone is playing or watching since all media is on the laptop; I have a small SSD that can’t serve the purpose; a normal harddisk once died after falling consequently and effectively losing my data (fortunately, only a little of it was not synced to my laptop); I have no unlimited internet access so online storage is not a solution.
Currently, am using this method I described in my channel (subscribe :blush::blush:):

For the longest I can remember, I have wished to build a small home server as a solution for my storage and entertainment – especially the former. In this server, I want to achieve four things:
1. Storage for all my files
2. Entertainment solution independent from my lappy
3. Back up for my phone – camera folders especially
4. Security to my files
I tested a number of NAS OS: openfiler, Freenas (when it was in version 0.7 and needed less than 256mb of storage) and openmedialvault. That was kitambo. Few years later, am back with more zeal and need. Openmedialvault seems a good choice especially because it supports docker and has modest system requirements. I will then install Jellyfin Media server on top. I had first settled for an old Core 2 Duo machine. Just before I made purchase, it hit me that some media might need to be transcoded I backed off a little. Owing to the fact this is an old cpu, I figured transcoding high resolutions like 1080 will be a task.

Long story short, has anyone done a home server and wish to share the experience. Most important, the minimum configuration that I can comfortably do for my solution above…

PS: I would like to keep the budget of CPU below 8k. I haven’t factored Hard Disk yet.

your options for that budget are difficult,the solution i would recommend is consider getting a home desktop and an external hard drive.This is a more flexible option as it allows you to use the desktop with the home server software like plex.Also it will be easier to double it up as a nas solution for storing your files and other media.I think you may need to budget a bit more so its better to save up to around 25k hivi.

That’s exactly what I want. A desktop CPU only since the NAS I want to use, Openmediavault, will not need a monitor once I start running. I was however concerned about the capabilities of a core 2 duo or an intel pentium cpu which I could get at the price.

plex nayo tunakosana juu ya kulipa what I can get for free with jellyfin

mmm can you think of a desktop that would not probably disappoint?
and btw once made I will share the experience. Hope it won’t disap
point haha

Get a Lenovo Thinkcentre at around Ksh 15000 (core i5 ,4gb ,500GB) as listed on jiji . If you have fixed internet at home this will be superb even with dynamic ip.
Install ubuntu server

1. Storage for all my files - Nextcloud (i have clients using this in office setup - architect)
  2. Entertainment solution independent from my lappy (Jellyfin)
  3. Back up for my phone – camera folders especially (nextcloud has android sync app that can be configured to backup your phone folders)
  4. Security to my files ( you can set encryption in nextcloud i.e during storage and transfer)

I have a home server which uses less than 12 watts ( Intel j1900, 4 GB , 1TB WD purple) , i have installed Ubuntu server and the running applications are Shinobi - opensource NVR , Pi-hole and jellyfin .

I see your specs are quite and somehow you read my mind. I don’t want more than 1TB coz again sitaki junk.
Then, from the specs, you have a relatively normal processor running. Does it handle most of the transcoding? I know my TV will play a number of them directly but that one devices that won’t, I don’t need it bringing the whole service down.

Onto the server, You use Ubuntu server from your setup. Have you had any experience with OMV – it’s debian based.
Your experience with Jellyfin? I can almost say you installed it on docker ama directly as an debian package?

what of Zonemider?

Would you mind leading me to the specs of your CPU ama its a DIY? It seems even a core i3 is more than enough. Was checking out synology and I noted they are running the same series of the CPU as yours with a lot of capability like streaming more than 5 1080 streams simultaneously

Zoneminder is resource intensive , I tried it with 2 hikvision IP cameras at 1080p 20 FPS and the processor use was jumping to almost 80% . With Shinobi I have the same settings and the process only uses 30 % and i set it to record motion only .

I used OMV some years back but I found that I was limited to just what OMV can offer .Back then Docker containers were not as popular as they are now . OMV is Debian based but a stripped down version . The beauty with Ubuntu server is that I can try out anything .The server is headless because a GUI would use more resources and I don’t need the GUI instead I manage the server via putty .
Regarding jellyfin i use it as a repository for media files and don’t use it that much .All the applications that I have installed are packages .

OMV now supports Docker so it won’t be so limited.

Same case with OMV. One can manage with putty.

Have been trying it on windows pc nione vile iko not had much experience. I actually learnt about jellyfin last week was using Kodi but I don’t want to run a full sized OS like Kodi will force one to.

I am glad you have given me insight into it. I was a little scared if the hardware would be too weak especially with Jellyfin in transcoding. Ooh and for learning about shinobi.
Sasa ni kungoja wafungue Nyairobi so I can get a CPU preferably a Ultra Small Form Factor

OMV has a web interface which makes it user friendly when installing plugins .
Below is Shinobi interface. The cameras feed shinobi with a H264 video stream and i have allocated 400GB for recording any motion.

Guys talking of big machines… :sweat_smile:

I have a Raspberry Pi as my server, running Noobs, Radarr, Sonarr, Bazarr, Plex, Zero Tier, Lidarr…

This is directly connected to the TV… Runs just fine. Although have to use VLC for 10 bit videos, coz plex cant direct stream those without transcoding…

Budget: $100 (Pi)

Hahaha that was my initial plan but the prices and the hustles of getting a raspberry pi 4 set me back. Plus I felt I will get a more reliable and stable machine on a CPU than raspberry pi.

That too am aware. I have run it earlier on virtual box. Plus portainer makes it easy to install containers.
Btw, I have seen shinobi developers discourage running on docker. Maybe, I will run Ubuntu server eventually.

1 Like

I don’t want to connect my laptop to the TV at all. I can’t watch on my laptop, the colours are horrible. It’s a core i3 so you know what to expect from such.

I have a docker setup running Sonnar, Raddar, Jackett, Transmission on a Synology NAS and all the content is pushed to Plex. Works like a charm for any shows/movies and it updates the content without the need for me search for new episodes

This is what I don’t want to use. Jellyfin gives me what Plex does for free – users which is most important coz of Toto.

Is Jellyfin better than Plex…

If you consider price as part of the comparison yes it is. Problem is it has limited clients. For instance, there is no client for webOS (LG smart TV) while Plex has clients for literally every device under the face of the earth.
I will need to pay Plex Pass to get user profiles while I won’t need to for Jellyfin. This is an important feature so I can filter content for toto

1 Like

Must one use a VPN when using sonarr, radarr and lidarr? I forgot to ask earlier. Have never taken much interest in them

Question above :point_up:t3::point_up:t3:to you too.

I think we really dont have stringent laws, unlike the Western World with regard to torrents…
However if you can, by all means have one…