My External hard drive shows up as local drive and can not open

Hi.
I was going to copy a file from one laptop to another by copying it to an external harddrive, I copied it as usual, but when I plugged it in the other laptop, the hdd was recognized only as local drive, it took quite long to show up, and it can not open.
I tried to plug in the hdd on the first laptop again, same result now; seen as “local disk”, and not opening.
I did the “remove safely” procedure before unplugging.

The only thing that comes to mind as reason, is that the laptop I copied from, had a reminder of making a windows update. And it was like it was hanging a bit, so I was thinking if the safely remove hardware could have been hanging also, even the message that I could remove was there already?

So I tried to look at The Harddrive in these different ways.

Chkdsk in command promt sees it properly with what seems to be the correct number of files and space available. See pictures.
But I can not go to the D: drive, when I try, it takes quite long, and comes up with “incorrect function”

Disk management can see the hdd, but sees it as healthy but empty. When I click proporties, it takes quite long, and comes up empty with 0 available. See picture.

Device manager shows it as present and working properly. See Picture

I believe it should be possible to retrieve the files, maybe even restore the HDD, Im just not so knowledgable and of course I dont want to make mistake and loose it all.
Can someone guide me to in this, hopefully without having to purchase something, as the budget is not to that at the moment.

Regards, Peter

The disk is labelled “RAW” instead of NTFS. That’s a tricky one, but you can do it with the right guidance. Google or YouTube the best way to convert RAW to NTFS, but be careful. Some guides will force you to format the disk with CMD, and then ask you to buy a data recovery software. Read the comments before trying anything online. I don’t think there’s an easy workaround, but naona you are familiar with CDM. This is something you can do after a quick research. Share the results.

Try test disk . Best you can do is recover the data then format the hard disk…

It is labelled as RAW and seems it’s holding nothing. Check if the hdd is failing I’d advise, using tools like SMART that are built onto the BIOS, and proceed to clean the hdd using CMD, convert to mbr, and format quick fs=ntfs.

Most nonsense software out in the wild cannot actually recover any data and are paid. My advice, wipe it clean, use it for a while and have a budget at the back of your mind for a new HDD or preferably an nvme SSD or a SATA one if you can’t install an nvme. My two sense anyway.

Type X: /FS :NTFS followed by the enter key. (X being the drive letter).
Might format the disk idk.

I suspect there are too many bad sectors. Run chkdsk /r d:. Then try /f to try to fix them. Then check back if there still present. Reference for parameters is below. It’s important to note params that are NTFS only. Don’t know if your drive had exFAT as it’s file system. If you are able to recover your data I don’t have to remind you to get another drive as this is clearly unreliable …

First, Recovery with MiniTool Partition Wizard. The feature seems to be locked in what I would call robbery without violence!

The second thing that’s popped up from search is from #AOMEI. Look at Way 1, sorry there are no anchor tags on the site.
https://www.diskpart.com/articles/file-system-is-raw-how-to-fix-it-7201.html

Lastly, What’s the value of the data on the drive? You might also not have an option if your coming from above :point_up_2:t4:. Well you might format your disk and forego recovery if it’s not important or you can regenerate or get the data from somewhere else.

I recommend #SpinRite, a handy tool for an IT involved person’s toolbox. It’s NOT to be used on SSDs! It’s development is slow but the application is solid and written on Assembly for low-level goodnesses like performance & precision and as a result a very very small(170 KB) total package of code. It costs ~90$ for a lifetime licence + you get a free upgrade to 6.1 which is “nearing” release.

Run on level 2 and if not successful on level 4. It’s also nice to run it on a level 2 for maintenance on your HDDs once in a while. This will prevent problems burgeoning to disasters.

General Site - GRC | Hard drive data recovery software  
Demo - GRC | Hard drive data recovery software  
Docs - GRC | SpinRite Exclusive Features  

For some that find the site a bit weird/old this blog summarizes things quite well …
https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/post/2015/10/08/maintain-your-hard-drive-with-spinrite

#Addendum
Visuals of #SpinRite’s screens - GRC | SpinRite Screen Shots  

1 Like

Create a bootable Ubuntu desktop usb and boot .Use disk utility to perform a disk check on the usb drive . I have managed to recover from such scenario using this method .