Massive ransomware infection hits computers in 99 countries

While some of us were sleeping, a fast-spreading internet worm enriched with stolen NSA hacking code wreaked havoc Friday, ripping through thousands of organizations in at least 99 countries, crippling some hospitals, utilities, businesses and government agencies in an online extortion scheme that’s graduated to a near internet disaster.

Called “WannaCry,” the malware infects vulnerable Windows machines, encrypts everything, and presents the victim with a multilingual pop-up message demanding a $300 in BitCoin in exchange for the safe return of the files. It’s funny the US isn’t affected much.

A quick thinking researcher accidentally put a halt to new infections by sinkholing the domain kill switch.

Could this be hackers or someone targeting non US countries?

i am wondering if any computers at work have been infected by this ransomware attack

I hear older OS are more prone to attacks. Anyone experienced it on Windows 10??

Machines running Windows 10 are not affected, only windows 8 and below

Anyone in Kenya affected?

I have noticed nothing BTW anyone on windows 10 creators update doesn’t need any free or paid antivirus,Windows defender on this OS is really doing a great job in detecting,blocking and removing malware (in my opinion)

1 Like

So today i got a call from a friend whose organization was hit by spam mail sent to every single employee in their organization official email this morning. The spam mail sender is the employees own official email address i.e. if an employees legit office email address is [email protected], the sender listed in the mail is that exact email address.

Below is the email extract everyone got

Hello!

As you may have noticed, I sent you an email from your account.
This means that I have full access to your device.

I’ve been watching you for a few months now.
The fact is that you were infected with malware through an adult site that you visited.

If you are not familiar with this, I will explain.
Trojan Virus gives me full access and control over a computer or other device.
This means that I can see everything on your screen, turn on the camera and microphone, but you do not know about it.

I also have access to all your contacts and all your correspondence.

Why your antivirus did not detect malware?
Answer: My malware uses the driver, I update its signatures every 4 hours so that your antivirus is silent.

I made a video showing how you satisfy yourself in the left half of the screen, and in the right half you see the video that you watched.
With one click of the mouse, I can send this video to all your emails and contacts on social networks.
I can also post access to all your e-mail correspondence and messengers that you use.

If you want to prevent this,
transfer the amount of $783 to my bitcoin address (if you do not know how to do this, write to Google: “Buy Bitcoin”).

My bitcoin address (BTC Wallet) is: 1N6dubqFmnyQ2qDWvi32ppVbc3kKMTYcGW

After receiving the payment, I will delete the video and you will never hear me again.
I give you 50 hours (more than 2 days) to pay.
I have a notice reading this letter, and the timer will work when you see this letter.

Filing a complaint somewhere does not make sense because this email cannot be tracked like my bitcoin address.
I do not make any mistakes.

If I find that you have shared this message with someone else, the video will be immediately distributed.

Best regards!

After reading the email i installed Malwarebytes which suprisingly failed to Launch, i then installed Kaspersky Internet Security which managed to find Trojans in the Machine. After deleting the Trojans and restarting the machine i launched Malwarebytes which now responded but didn’t find anything after scanning. If this is a weakness with their Mail Server i told them to let their IT guyz look into it coz hapo ndio nilifika mwisho the problem will still recur.

I have received a few emails which landed in my Spam folder, but those ones used one of my passwords, one I used sometime back for those sites I don’t care about. The threat was that there was a video of me watching certain sites and if I didn’t send bitcoin they would release the video.

The first time I started receiving them was a month ago, I still receive them, but they end up in the spam folder.

After some time they resorted to sending me password protected PDFs for me to open. Naturally, I am not that stupid.

1 Like

Heheh don’t be alarmed and Do Not Pay.

They have access to nothing, they may have found a list of orgs emails and spoofed them. That email is similar to other ransom attempts.

Ikizidi will you die if people see you pleasuring yourself?

3 Likes

got hit by ransomware last weekend, i lost eveything…now am taking computer security seriously,but am the one who messed up

wow,My friend…you do not backup? i m surprised.Take advantage of free cloud storage offered by Google and Microsoft,that at least 10GB waiting for you.Backup your most important stuff.

10GB is nothing… What can you backup with that… My Books alone for instance are 70GB Plus…

well,10GB is quite a lot if you are just storing personal sensitive legal and financial documents.Books,Video and audio files need higher capacity local storage.

i hate backed up but not everything…you cant backup every day you know,

for anybody who is curious, they lock up all your files in every folder except windows file, in each folder they leave a read me file with instructions and such, so you can log in into your device but everything music,videos,pictures are locked

Heres the message you get

ATTENTION!

Don’t worry, you can return all your files!
All your files like photos, databases, documents and other important are encrypted with strongest encryption and unique key.
The only method of recovering files is to purchase decrypt tool and unique key for you.
This software will decrypt all your encrypted files.
What guarantees you have?
You can send one of your encrypted file from your PC and we decrypt it for free.
But we can decrypt only 1 file for free. File must not contain valuable information.
You can get and look video overview decrypt tool:

Price of private key and decrypt software is $980.
Discount 50% available if you contact us first 72 hours, that’s price for you is $490.
Please note that you’ll never restore your data without payment.
Check your e-mail “Spam” or “Junk” folder if you don’t get answer more than 6 hours.

To get this software you need write on our e-mail:
[email protected]

Reserve e-mail address to contact us:
[email protected]

Your personal ID:
0171mHffO5PgpqzSRFybNF0LZtqlVNz33TBxgWe7qo9cu9Nt1

You need to purchase an decrypt software and unique private key.
After you will get software, start it and decrypt all your data.
You can download video overview decrypt tool:

Price of private key and decrypt software is 0.07 bitcoin with 50% discount.
0.07 bitcoin ~ 490 usd.

Before paying you can send 1 file for free decryption.
Send us your personal ID too.
Please note that files must NOT contain valuable information.

After payment we answer all your questions about server safety.

The easiest way to buy bitcoin is LocalBitcoins site.
You have to register, click Buy bitcoins and select the seller by
payment method and price.
Video manual:
1 - You need register localbitcoins account:

2 - Buy bitcoins in localbitcoins video:

3 - Send your bitcoins to our wallet video manual:

Any bitcoin exchangers:
Binance.com
BuyBitcoin
CoinMonitor.io
CoinMama
Changelly.com
PAYEER

Coincafe.com

I thought someone sorted this out… Plus how did you get hacked…

Informational

I would suggest you use a VM for your “other” dealings …That is if you have significant RAM …In Windows world I’m not to sure of an approximate …would 8 Gigs cut it for both the VM and the guest OS?