"Laggy" AndroidTV OS, is it Google's Fault?

Hey guys, ever wondered why people keep saying AndroidTV is laggy? Well, I think I have an idea.

When people buy TVs with AndroidTV OS, they expect to enjoy everything they do on their smartphone on a bigger screen. However, these expectations are rarely met as TVs can barely keep up with all the apps installed. Instead of high frame-rate PUBG gaming, you’re stuck with a few racing games that you only play to justify the purchase… or when bored.

The problem with “lagginess” in AndroidTV, in my opinion, is not Google’s fault but TV manufacturers. In my investigation, I’ve found out that most smart TVs source their SoCs from Mediatek. Not that Mediatek is a bad company, but the CPUs they make for TVs are significantly under-powered compared to what you see smartphones.

Mediatek has listed four groups of TV SoCs: Flagship 8K, Premium 4K, Mainstream 4K, and Smart FullHD products. Among the four categories, only Flagship 8K and Premium 4K uses SoC that can adequately power gaming demands; the quad core Cortex A73 SoC. Other categories only use quad core Cortex A55 (mainstream 4K) and A9 (Full HD). Please note that all these SoCs do not have dedicated GPUs. Mediatek recently launched one with GPU known as MT5670, but the CPU is a quadcore Cortex A53 clocked at 1.8 GHz.

Buying a mainstream 4K TV or Android Box to install and play PUBG is like expecting to game competitively on Safaricom’s Neon smartphones. Cortex A55 was launched in 2017 as energy efficient microarchitecture to supplement the A75. It is also the go-to option for budget devices. To make matters worse, these TVs and boxes have a mere two GB of memory, which we can all agree is not enough.

If you want to game on TV, the type of OS should not be a deciding factor. Evaluate other specs such as HDMI capabilities, panel quality, and even size. For gamers, invest in NVIDIA Shield TV that uses Tegra SoC and has decent memory. Otherwise get a box for other functions that do not include gaming, for instance, casting and tweaks brought by the availability to play store.

What do you think?

2 Likes

yeah android tv hardware is really under powered the hardware makes me ask my self questions that never seem to have a straight answer heck even 10k phones come with octacore socs, I also wonder why Qualcomm doesn’t make chipsets for android tv, or maybe they tried but were charging tv manufactures an arm and a leg

1 Like

Nah,its not Google’s fault,If you want to game with android tv its better to get an nvidia shield otherwise the main focus for Android TV OS TVs should be to stream content,the tv specs should just be evaluated on how many apps you want to install(storage) or if you intend to stream a lot of 4K content and Youtube.Android TV is not built for gaming,just streaming…

1 Like

People actually buy a tv to natively game on it…!?

How does gaming on a smart TV even work tho? Like without a controller.? TV remote? Smartphone? Latency must be a bitch! :sweat_smile:
Like the aforementioned ‘High frame rate PUBG’?

2 Likes

This is exactly what I don’t understand… Game on an android tv… Loll…

1 Like

The right question should be, “game on cheap Android boxes…?” Cuz they also use the same socs

well,lets not be quick to judge.Some people will want to play their smartphone games on the big screen like asphalt hivi…cant blame them

1 Like

I do enjoy some android games on the big screen but resorted to the shield. I think manufacturers should try incorporating more powerful SOCs.

Isn’t what you are asking for called a Play Station…

I want it as one unit…android games…

Wanted to know like this one when I saw Asphalt 8 has an Android TV version. (Hii haikai as extreme as the PUBG example given…) Does it play well?

How does one play Asphalt on Android Tv… Using Remote ama…

People buy Bluetooth game pads for their boxes or smart TVs.

2 Likes