Jumia now serving Google ADS and Custom ADS? Anyone noticed that?

Hello guys,

I’m a frequent visitor of Jumia and today I noted that they’re serving ADS. Anyone noticed that? The Qatar Airways AD is a custom AD. The rest are Google ADS. Seems like their advertising division is now up and running. Diversification strategy to keep them afloat? However, the ads are missing on mobile devices.

1 Like

They announced this decision earlier in the year.

2 Likes

Sure, it might make them a little more money now, but isn’t the main point of online ads to shepherd people away from your page? I wouldn’t be surprised if a company just started targeting certain pages on their site with their products set at a lower price. Jumia selling a TV at 20 K and below it is an ad of another company selling the same product at 19 K. :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

With a traffic of over 4 million a month, that will surely help

Actually, you can do that when placing Google ADS. You can target a website that you want your ADS to show but I’m not sure how you can target specific AD Spots on a website.

However, with custom ADS hapo sasa unaeza wapiga sabotage but probably they’ll have policies in place to either disallow such type of ADS or make them expensive. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Hahaha am a digital marketer by trade so this is something I already started considering yesterday. In Kenya not many companies would buy direct ad space on a site especially if it is as big as Jumia it would be very expensive, " si heri ni nunuwe ad space na ads.google na ni target Jumia"
You target particular ad spots with keywords through the ad groups on google ads. so lets say Jumia is selling " Addidas shoes for men" that is on the page description. Your keyword should be the same. And just like that you will probably appear on that spot. If I was Jumia the solution would be to bid for a keyword like that at a CPC of like $10 meaning they wouldnt get many people outbiding them for that ad spot, then again it beats the whole point of giving out ad space. Another solution is to give out very limited ad space such as the bottom of the page where the click trhough rate is low, yes they will still earn some money through CPM and less clicks to external websites.
But this decision will deffinately come back to haunt them.

2 Likes

I think they are heavily releying on the fact that they are a well know brand and hence people would more likely buy from them than other brands, which is a great assumption, especially in Kenya where Price comes before branding

1 Like

Great insights hapa.

1 Like