Is Uber public or private transport?

So, I came across this thread thanks to TechCabal, The thread is a “discussion” about Uber being public transport or private transport. I honestly don’t know where I stand but it will be interesting to read what you guys think.

Is Uber a public means of transport or private means of transport?

NOTE: That thread is full of Nigerian accent, proceed with caution

I believe that taxi is public transport, only difference between taxi and buses or trains is the latter is mass transit. Private transport is owned or leased. With taxi you pay for a service and when done you exit. Remember there is Uberpool, meaning that when you’re on the road the taxi can stop for another passenger to join you in the pool.

Uber is a private means of transport…Use of private cars to ferry app users,ordinary folks without smartphones or the uber app cannot take advantage of the service

They have PSV licenses, can’t work without them. Channel (the app) can’t define what’s private or public. You need a ticket to board a train, in other markets the ticket can be an app on the phone or card. Bebapay was a card, just tech to facilitate service.

Uber is private. Majority of us go with KBS and other public means of transport, what is the need of paying 300 and you would have paid 50 bob and still carry yourself Unga and Sugar.

If you need a PSV licence, it’s public transport whichever way you see it.

So public transportation​ with private car comfort?

I’m pretty confident that Uber is private transport…even our matatus are private in how they work but public by definition. In the end their owned by individuals or groups of individuals. Also I think anything public isn’t supposed to make profits…in my humble opinion

So new discovery is that public transport is not how it’s executed but who owns it, that’s an interesting view. Now we need a teacher staff room meeting on this.

1 Like

These are really great topics for discussion via podcast or short video. Looking forward to when Facebook launches it’s podcasting program (I thought they’d have done so at F8 but, Oh well…)

Traditionally “public” transportation has usually referred to those modes of transport with set routes, set fares and usually the infrastructure and service was/is funded from public coffers and/or managed by government for the public though not in all cases. It’s almost always been mass transportation as well.

If I were to use healthcare as an analogy, it would be the difference between being covered only by NHIF and being covered by a private health insurance company like say, Resolution Health. Note how we all pay into NHIF whether we use it or not…? Public.

By this definition, taking a cab is opting out of public transport. That’s why the fares are higher and you get to ride in private. Uber is basically a cab. In the traditional definition it is not “public”. It’s a private means of transport. It’s not very different from chartering a plane.

3 Likes