Is M-Gas more expensive than traditional gas refills

M-Gas people have been going up and down our estate recently, aggressively pushing their token gas cylinder. There are quite a few rumors that the gas is more expensive than traditional refills. I have heard some people say that they are using up to 75% more on cooking gas since they installed the M-Gas cylinder. What’s worse, M-Gas will not let you use their product as a backup. If you stay for a few weeks without using it (even if your card is loaded), the guys come and reclaim their cylinder.

All this is based on discussions I have overheard. I’m opening this thread to let anybody who has used the gas to clear the air on these important points. What has been your experience with the M-Gas cylinder?

Safaricom is now managing the IT part of the M-Gas smart meter. Are they earning any commission since they are Safaricom and they look to profit from virtually anything they get their hands on?

1 Like

I did a comparison with my friend that took it. On average, he was using the 6KG cylinder that cost around 1,200bob at that time.

Switching to M-Gas saw him spend over 2,000bob a month in units/tokens. Long story short, he returned it after 3 months.

It looked fun buying those 50bob and 100bob units until we did the maths.

Very true. They locked my friend’s gas for not using it for a few days despite having units. Crazy.

Well thought product but hostile execution.

2 Likes

Do they come to the house to lock it or how does this happen…

It’s sad because M-Gas’ main market is slums. They are shamelessly robbing from the poorest amongst us. I saw that they launched the product in 2013 in Mukuru Kwa Njenga slum in Embakasi. Now they’re targeting everybody else. I guess the gas is not doing so well in slum areas. There’s a serious backlash even for higher-income neighborhoods like mine. I think this company needs a serious competitor. Maybe a Kenyan who has our interests at heart. M-Gas is currently owned by a UK company (Circle Gas) who bought it from the Tanzanian founder.

And they know what they’re doing too. One of my neighbors got the gas and the first 250 shillings they loaded took almost two weeks to deplete. But the next 250 got her about a week and one day.

2 Likes

The smart meter has a communication channel to the mother company (Safaricom provides the connectivity). I’m sure it sends all kinds of usage data to their servers. That’s why they can tell if you have not been using it and also when the tank is almost depleted. They can disable it remotely in the same way they load up your card after you top it up with MPesa. It’s like the KPLC token meter. Only this time, the company has the ability to manage your device remotely, whether or not your smart card is loaded or not.

3 Likes

The retired CJ Will Mutunga once said Kenya is a bandit economy.

I still don’t understand why traditional companies allow rivals to outcompete them using disruptive technologies.

For example, non-explosive cylinders are still not widespread despite being on the market for like two decades.

This M-Gas idea can be embraced by bigger players on the market. In fact, they can use it to offer discounted rates to push adoption.

As explained by @Peter_Ngure, they disable it remotely. And it takes hours before they enable it. Unaeza lala njaa kama hauna stove :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Which are these now!

Can’t you put it under a sink or Wiregauze to block the signal

You can check their site and calculate the cost off that.

“The Customer will buy from M-Gas and M-Gas will sell to the Customer LPG in the Equipment at the price of KSh. 73.8 per 300 grams of LPG exclusive of VAT.”

Adding VAT and scaling that to 6kg comes to 1712.16, compared to the current 1200 unalipa an extra 500 which is a massive percentage difference. Hata ukienda petrol station refill ni 1350 so an extra 350

That then beats the point of having it in the first place… You paying an extra 350 so that someone can turn your gas on and off at will!

I’m sure you’ve seen them. They’re translucent for you to monitor the LPG level.

Any interference to the signal automatically disables/locks the gas.

1 Like

Nope Never Seen them… If these are Non- Explosive does it mean what everyone uses is explosive!

Why would we be using Explosive then if non explosive are available?!

Yes. These metal cylinders that we use are highly explosive. During gas leaks, the cylinders turn into deadly projectiles. I have seen incidences where a 13KG cylinder ripped a whole wall apart. The non-explosive ones are designed to disintegrate under such circumstances than fly around like missiles.

They’re not cheap. The 13KG cylinder costs 10,000bob last time I asked. Minus the LPG, of course. They also didn’t have 6KG variants. Not sure if there are any now.

Also, one player in the market is offering them. I think that’s why you’ve never seen them. If everyone were to embrace them, slowly but surely, they would be popular by now.

1 Like

Yeah. Popular and maybe cheaper…

1 Like