Has Tech and Social Media Completely Rewired Our Brains

Technology and Social Media has altered human physiology. It makes us think differently, feel differently, even dream differently. It affects our memory, attention spans and sleep cycles.

We definitely have shorter attention spans and if you notice there is a trend. When content creators are doing it to appeal to the masses they will have to factor this in. So you will see Snapchat, Instagram, Vine and other for-short-attention-span audience really picking up.

People are reading less long form and this is probably limited to a more mature audience, millennials and centennials are the ones hit the most. And yes, sleep cycles because Social media and generally tech makes other people more available, like you would previously need to wait till someone was up to call them on their telephone in the sitting room. Now you just need to send them a WhatsApp message, probably a voice message, and they will be distracted accordingly. Days of beauty sleep are gone.

1 Like

We Technophiles never get to sleep, With laptops,gadgets all around us. We never keep facts in our Memories In a google World, So our attention and memory aren’t great

not really and if there is the number is few who can say social media has rewired their brains. Many people in Africa and across the globe have no access to internet reason being its expensive and the phones running social media are not affordable to some extent, its only for the past 3 years that we have seen smart phones (which can run Facebook and have a camera) getting cheaper but due to social-economic problems they still view social media as a luxury service and so a big percentage of Kenyans don’t have a Facebook account or even an email address.

1 Like

I think we are very visual beings and social media has created an environment whereby we can get as much as we can in a few seconds by just looking at pictures or reading a sentence or two.
The effect of this can be seen by the type of information being put out. Let me give you an example. There is a trend I have been seeing now where people tell stories via chronological pictures on Facebook. Because reading a long form post with a few or no pictures can put a lot of people off and not send the message. Therefore, many chose to take pictures and add small captions to show the progression of the story. I see it more and more each day.
Even guys post recipes this way. A picture for every step and just a line.
Social media has made it easy to consume and played to our natural tendencies to be distracted and take shortcuts!
That is why buzzfeed is so popular!

1 Like