Compliment your Home Security with cheap Security Alarm System

Home security is one of the areas that continuously bother people, particularly, those spending parts of the day away from home. The most common home security, besides a watchman or a security dog, is installation of CCTV Cameras and electric fences. CCTVs serve their purpose with loyalty and are reliable if certain measures are put in place. However, no systems are perfect and CCTVs are not an exception. Below, I have highlighted some three points where I think CCTVs fail which form the basis of the enhancement solution:

1. When connected to the internet, they give you a full view of your premises wherever you are. This sounds quite good but it is not always practical since you can’t spend so much time on your phone keeping watch. Something may actually happen just when you take your eyes off the screen. In that case, you will find out when it’s too late.
  2. For some CCTVs, one can set up zones where motion detected in a zone sends a notification to your phone immediately. The downside is you could miss the notification especially if it is not persistent – I think is an unlikely scenario.
  3. If your DVR/NVR is pretty secure you will be able to see what transpired while you were away. However, if number 2 fails, you can’t mitigate even the mildest break-in to your house and/or home.

For the above reasons, CCTV is good because it gives you surveillance but even better when complemented with a security system that notifies (more about this below) you when something is happening. Let me highlight the features that make me think of it as such a good complimentary device:

1. Models: GSM model and a GSM+WiFi model.
  2. Sensors: The various sensors you can attach to your system. Some are obvious but do bear with me:
  • a. Door/window sensors: these are normally installed on your windows and doors. Opening a door/window when the system is armed triggers the alarm.
  • b. Motion sensor: when motion is detected in secured areas the alarm is triggered. The manufacturer claims it’s pet proof. No false alarm because your cat moved across the room though I haven’t verified this since I have no pet.
  • c. Smoke detectors: in case you fear a fire could break out or even arson. :grinning:
  • d. Water leakage sensor: in case there is a major water leak in your house like when you leave your taps open.
  • e. Some systems have a doorbell which plays a ding-dong sound just like a doorbell.
  1. Alarm types: you can assign your sensors about 6 alarm types: door lock alarm, fire alarm, perimeter alarm, window alarm etc. Each one of the alarm types has a designated icon on the control panel. The panel can connect up to 99 individual sensors which are subsequently grouped under the different alarm types.

2. Siren: the basic package comes with at least one “smallish” siren [pic below the post]. Despite the small size, it is loud enough to wake you up from a black out after a binge drinking. The siren can be extended away from the main control unit to a position where it would alert someone far from your premise or far enough not to easily give up the location of the control panel.

3. Alarm Control Operation: this is what I think, makes this a complete security system. It has four alarm statuses.

• a. Out Arm: this arms all the sensors connected. A trigger on any sensor triggers the alarm system. (Re-read this after reading point “b”)
  • b. Home Arm: this option arms some sensors and leaves others un-armed. The option is ideal where you have sensors that can be triggered from inside the house and others from outside the house. For instance, you may have motion and door sensors for doors leading to inner rooms say your bedroom, and motion sensors around the house as well as main doors sensors. While inside the house, in this mode, the sensors inside the house will not trigger the alarm but those giving access from the outside will trigger the alarm.
  • c. Disarm: obviously, the system will be “down”. No sensor will trigger the alarm.
  • d. SOS: this is a dedicated emergency call button on the control panel. It calls the set phone numbers in order. If the first recipient fails to answer for the preset number or times – usually 3, it will automatically call the second number – up to a maximum 5 numbers saved.
  1. Alarm mode setting: this is kind of a continuation of point “5.a & b”. All the sensors are individually assigned a mode with the default being mode 1. The system has four alarm modes.
  • a. Mode 0: the sensor will not trigger an alarm regardless of the status (out or home – 5.a or b.)
  • b. Mode 1: sensors will trigger the alarm at Arm or Home Arm status. (5.a & b.)
  • c. Mode 2: sensors will trigger alarm only at Out Arm status. (5.a.)
  • d. Mode 3: sensor will trigger alarm at any arm status including 5.c.
  1. Notification: the system has 3 channels of notification
  • a. SMS: SMS notification gives you the number of the exact sensor triggered and the alarm type. It also notifies the user when you face a power loss and when power is restored. The bad is you get SMS for every trigger that happens to the system. [Pics below]

• b. Phone call: the user can set up to 5 notification numbers. If the first number hangs up or fails to answer up to “default 3 times”, it calls the next number. Even when the owner is off, it will intelligently determine the owner did not answer – you don’t have to worry about voicemail.
  • c. App: this will only work with the GSM+WiFi model.
  1. Arm/disarm: the system can be armed or disarmed via:
  • a. phone call: normally call the number on the control panel. There are voice prompts similar to what you get with customer care calls. [Audio link below]

• b. SMS: arm or disarm via an SMS. It gives you a feedback once armed/disarmed
  • c. App: pretty obvious what this will do :relaxed::relaxed:
  • d. Remote: looks just like a car keys fob. You can connect up to 5 remotes. [pic below the post]
  • e. RFID tags: some systems have an RFID tag to arm and disarm. It’s made small enough to fit in like a key holder. You can again connect up to 5 tags.
  • f. Automatic arm/disarm: you can set the time you wish the system to automatically arm/disarm.
  1. Control Panel security: you can set up to two different passwords:
  • a. The first to arm/disarm the system.
  • b. The second one to restrict access to the system settings.
  • c. Tamper proof: some control panels have a tamper proof mechanism that notifies you via SMS immediately the system is tampered for instance when detached from the wall.
  1. Other features: extra features the system offers.
  • a. Intercom: the manufacturer is quite ambitious with this but I wouldn’t try it out . The concept is like the voice announcements you get in a supermarket. You call your control unit and speak through the speakers. [illustration below]

• b. Monitoring: a rudimentary way of monitoring your premise. Simply call and listen.

• c. It can also be used as a home phone. It’s not as good as you would imagine but works nevertheless.

• d. Sensor connections: sensors can either be wireless or wired depending on your convenience. The wireless ones use a 12V battery or a 3V coin cell.

These are pictures of the security system. I will not be able to show all the sensors since I have only the GSM model basic package for now. But it will suffice for the demonstration:

If you have a question on the system, you can ask in the comments or privately I will answer. Please be patient with me if I don’t answer promptly. I will eventually answer.

3 Likes

@Eavns @SamuelN @Krizwech
This is the device am talking about. The literature was too much for a comment so I felt a thread would be better.

1 Like

Nice very detailed and thorough writeup. What would be the cost of such a system…

1 Like

I bought this one at about Ksh. 8000 sometime back. Right now the prices are a litte high but still under 10k for a basic package. 1 motion sensor, 1 window/door sensor, a siren and the two remotes.
The GSM+WiFi has an extra two RFID tags.

3 Likes

Very nice, i would supplement my current existing house cctv with this one for that extra added security. Where can i source one from? Visuals to me still do matter alot, for example in my vehicle apart from the normal car alarm system installed i also have a dashcam that has 24hr surveillance feature. It constantly records the vehicles front and back and alerts me of any event that might have happened while i was away.

Quick one though, how many door/window alarm sensors does the system come with? I would’ve liked them to arm a couple of doors and windows around the house.

1 Like

I have this one but should you need the one with WiFi, I will get you one. A basic package comes with just 1 door sensor and 1 motion sensor, 2 remotes and a Siren. Extra sensors are not hard to get at a cost.
You can also import one from China. Local markets do exist but the sensors will be expensive.
Actually, any sensor that works at 433Mhz will easily connect to this. So as you look for more sensors, note that part.

2 Likes

Very detailed and specified description. It is really insightful and gives full information about the product. Thank you for sharing this.

3 Likes

This is quite interesting.

I have one concern though, is it possible to set a delay between sensor trigger and the alarm system. I did not find any information about this in your post.