Best Laptop Brand in 2020

Which laptop brand is best in 2020?

It depends on what you need. Laptops don’t have “best brands.” If you have an iPhone and you don’t play games but you need a robust ecosystem, get a mac. If you need proper keyboard, Lenovo Thinkpad. If you need an all-rounder but not great in one specific thing, Dell XPS. If you want a gaming king/queen, there are several options, but Razer is nice. IT DEPENDS.

2 Likes

Depends on the purpose of the laptop. However, the new generations of Dell XPS and Lenovo Carbon X1 are a sure bet for anything an all-rounded freelance would need.

4 Likes

i agree with wesh,those two models are the best brands when it comes to laptops at the moment

It depends with what you want. Do you want a laptop that can play heavy games and still be coy about how they seem small to it. Get a Razer or AlienWare machine. For simple office duties or tasks and watching movies, any Dell or HP could do that. If you want to save money, there’s also a laptop with a mouthful of a name from a Chinese company Lhmzniy that offers cutting edge features at an incredibly low price which you could get from AliExpress. It all depends on what you want.

What sort of laptop would you recommend to a university student? The budget is 50k

That’s a very hard question really. There’s a lot to look at but most importantly, we have to address the issue of budget…

Anyway, here are a few options for you:

There are more lists, incase you don’t find what you are looking for:

@sarunibm umeamua kutu spam na Gadgets Africa :rofl: :rofl: It’s informative though

1 Like

Spam is bad things. Like you said, “informative”, which is good. GREAT actually.

3 Likes

This thing is an absolute beauty. Was to stay loyal to Asus but wameanza kuuza jina.

Asked Mall for Africa on how much it would cost me, nikaambiwa 120K

1 Like

University students hutaka kufanya kila kitu kwa machine. Kwanza kama ni kijana ataeka ata FIFA 20 na kina CoD and what not. For 50 browns, you could get a good enough ASUS laptop, core i5 and all. I’d recommend getting a machine that’s no earlier than a 6th Gen laptop. Hio ndio criteria tu. Also, ukinunua, try avoiding Microsoft’s Windows 10 updates, tumia tu yenye laptop imekuja nayo, as Windows 10 updates have been plagued by problems after problems since time immemorial.

Sijawahi kua na issue na updates in my experience and I’m always up-to-date. Updates pia ni muhimu sana for security patches in my opinion

I’ve had three laptops break down because of updates. The first a HP 250 G5 and a second laptop of the same model, only a generation higher suffer the same. A Third, the EliteBook 850 /840, I’m not really sure which it was also suffered the same issues, presenting the BSOD(Blue Screen of Death). So I purchased an SSD and partitioned it to boot Parrot OS and Kali Linux.
Microsoft Windows 10 is a no go for me ever since, I’d rather even boot Windows 7 or Ubuntu.
Everyone’s experiences with Windows 10 are different, you never know what to expect with version updates on that OS. Acha tuone Windows 10X itakua aje, maybe then.

1 Like

Kwanza after I lost some projects because of these nonsense issues on Visual Studio, hio kitu apana tu.

Why don’t you try the version of windows that updates(feature updates) less frequently?

So lets talk laptops, i need to change mine naona haiwezani na mahitaji yangu it can’t extensively handle the new hobbies i have acquired during this COVID-19 quarantine i.e. video editing zoom videos via DaVinci Resolve and architectural drawings via Floor Planner. I also recently stopped using Google Chrome browser and shifted to Opera Browser as i noticed Chrome makes my laptop fan spin a lot lately while Opera does not.

I bought my current laptop way back in 2015 March 20th, that’s 5 years, 1 month and 22 days ago, a HP Probook 4340S Core i5-3230M 2.6Ghz 4GB/500GB. For normal office usage iko sawa but with my new found hobbies it struggles. I need another machine with at least the following specs.

• Core i5 8th Gen Processor and above
  • 8GB RAM and above
  • 512GB SSD Storage
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 GPU and above
  • 1080p 14" Max screen size

Reading your comments up above i got the following interesting laptop

Lenovo IdeaPad L340 at 60,000/-
Core i5-9300H 2.4Ghz
8GB RAM DDR4
128GB SSD
15.6" FHD IPS LCD
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GPU

@sarunibm give me directions to the shop that sells that laptop at that price coz all the shops i’ve browsed through have a price higher than 60k for that same laptop.

On this other side, my laptop guy recommended the following laptops according to the specs i gave him.

HP ZBook x2 G4 Workstation at 85,000/-
Core i7 7600U 2.8GHz Turbo 3.9Ghz 4 CPU’s
32GB 256GB M.2 SSD Wi-Fi USB-C USB 3.1
HDMI Bluetooth WebCam Backlit KB SD Slot
Quadro M620 2GB GDDR5 GPU
14.0’ UHD 2160P Touch

HP OMEN X 15 at 95,000/-
Core i5 9300H 2.4Ghz Turbo 4.1Ghz 8 CPU’s
8GB 256GB M.2 SSD 1TB HDMI USB-C USB 3.1
Wi-Fi Bluetooth SD Slot WebCam Backlit KB
GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GPU LAN
15.6’ 144Hz 1080P 2 Cooler Fans

While the above three machines are closer to my specs, zimeanguka mtihani as two are bigger than 14" and the last two are higher than the available cash i’m willing to spend i.e. 75k. My laptop guy recommended two other machines saying my budget can get me the ones below nisahau mambo ya Nvidia GeForce GPUs and settle for the kawaida Intel UHD 620 GPU instead.

HP Elite x2 1013 G3 at 60,000/-
Core i5 8350U 1.7Ghz Turbo 3.6Ghz 8 CPU’s
16GB 512GB M.2 SSD Wi-Fi USB-C Bluetooth
USB 3.1 Biometric Reader WebCam SD Slot
13.0’ IPS 1080P Touchscreen Stylus

HP EliteBook 840 G5 at 65,000/-
Core i5 8250U 1.6Ghz Turbo 3.4Ghz 8 CPU’s
8GB 512GB M.2 SSD Wi-Fi USB-C USB 3.1
HDMI Bluetooth WebCam SD Slot LAN
Backlit Keyboard Biometric Reader
14.0’ IPS 1080P

But ofcourse hii ni story anataka ninunue tu kwake. Anyone with a different laptop with specs closer to the above and within that budget? I’m sure there is a laptop somewhere closer to what the Lenovo Ideapad L340 has to offer but with a smaller screen.

Finding shops that sell specific varieties of laptops is difficult. The market is so fragmented and confused. They just sell laptops all brands and features without taking into account people’s different tastes.

If I had capital to set up such a business, I’d focus on one brand, sleek and simple designs, then stock laptops that fit different computing needs and budgets.

You stand a high chance of getting people loyal to a brand and the curious ones purchasing your products. Right now, fragmented products bestows the burden of selling a laptop on the seller.

A good example is the smartphone market right now. If you need a phone, you’ll narrow down on three devices or so.

If it’s a Samsung you know very well that you can walk into any Samsung shop and find the device. Same case applies with Xiaomi and Huawei.

Take an example of Infinix and Tecno. They focus on a few devices, good looking designs, knows everyone on a tight budget wants a generator-size battery, and they push the devices on the market.

Kitambo when the market was fragmented, you’d hope from one shop to another looking for a specific phone. Unless kama ilikua the common models.

HP siwezi tena (I said this after my first disasspointment in 2014) then stupidly bough a new HP in 2018. NEVER again. (For real this time) Lenovo all the way, E540 na T480s still workhorses. Waiting for T14 with Ryzen 4000 series.

Any laptop recombination for a university student? The budget is Ksh 50,000.

You have to specify what you want in a machine in order to be given suggestions, budget alone can’t cut it as you will be given anything based on your budget.