Audiophiles in Kenya: Home Music, Sound Systems

just recently this week Av forum posted the Best Home AV Products of 2021 inclusive of those subs that you’re looking for, soundbars av receivers, and much more, I didn’t even know a company like JBL manufactures Av systems too though high end. I have posted the link take a look and see what interests you.https://www.avforums.com/news/best-home-av-products-of-2021-editor-s-choice-awards.19283

2 Likes

Thanks, I will definitely check them out.

I was thinking about a SVS SB-1000 PRO and some Edifier R1280Ts (powered)
Though I don’t know, what’s the best way to connect it from a PC; just using a 3.5mm → RCA splitter cable seems dirty (or is this the best way?)

I think I understand what you need now. I didn’t take into account that you’re looking for something to listen nearfield. Here is my recommendation with the new information (for desktop use)
Get Motu M2 Audio Interface for around £193.46
Yamaha HS5 studio monitors for £130 a pair
Then get SVS SB-1000 Pro locally with the rest of the cash.

Connect the three like this:
From your PC to the M2, from the M2’s RCA out to SVS’ RCA in, from SVS’ RCA out to Yamahas. Boom! 2.1 Desktop bliss with a few bass management tricks. The M2 + HS5 might cost around 400 pounds total to import from UK using @Stiffler254 's recommended forwarder.

Hio 50-40k iko juu ongezea uchukua that ka sub. SB-1000 will not knock your socks off with bass but it’s more than enough for desktop setups IMO.

3 Likes

You can also get the Edifier R1280Ts for significantly cheaper cost. Nimeona they are well reviewed on Audio Science Review. I would get them over Yamaha’s since they are cheaper and also powered, taking the load off Motu.

1 Like

Thanks this looks good.
Thanks for the explanation

1 Like

Followed the thread and you give great advice on entry point avr’s. Quick one; would you recommend getting a locally used budget avr? Been meaning to upgrade since I already have four cheapo bookshelf drivers and a powered sub that I picked from venice acoustics pale langata road. Looking for an avr that costs less than $500.

Definitely, go for it. As long as it ticks all the boxes on what you need now. Electronics do not age like moving parts do.

It is difficult getting a locally used Budget AVR though… The ones I came across when I started were either extremely overpriced or very old…

1 Like

I agree. Local dealers tend to overprice everything even when they paid peanuts for them. It’s like a competition. I guess lack of competition, assuming customers do not know, and having to pay for high-end physical stores is the issue. Unapata speaker ya 15k a pair inauza 70k kama “friday deal” unashindwa kwani inaletwa na rocket…? :rage: Ukiuliza unaambiwa “tax and shipping” ni kama we’ve never imported anything the legal way.

2 Likes

Yeah, in the end for me importing an AVR myself ended up being way cheaper…

1 Like

I have been missing for a while. The M-Audio BX5 D2s have been so good that I will not be upgrading them until they malfunction. These speakers are really good. It’s crazy that they only cost 21k. They also have lots of bass for the size, more than I need since I live in a rented space. At 120W, they also get really loud.

I would 10/10 recommend for people on a budget, and for people who don’t have any need for heavy bass.

Tips. Placement is really important to how they sound. I have placed mine on heavy-density sofa cushions :joy:. I did so accidentally and they sounded amazing. They sound terrible on my wooden table.

Myth. All reviews online state that they sound good only when you are seated on a central spot. Yes, they sound heavenly when you are centered but they sound good enough in any other position. It’s a non-issue for casual listening.

3 Likes

These them? I’m thinking of getting these

1 Like

Yes, that’s the pair.

1 Like

I was searching for audiophile groups online that led me here. I’ve read the whole conversation way back from 2018 when this thread started. Very insightful. Add this to the YouTube videos I’ve watched, I’ve got somewhere to start. I think the prices of these gadgets is what is stalling the growth of audiophile community in KE. I’d a 5.1 Sony home theater sometime back but I once came from work only to be met with an open door and wires hanging off the wall. The whole system including my TV had been stolen. It’s yrs now and I want to start on a DIY journey for a full hometheater with 7.2.4 combination of denon, klipsch, svs, nvidia shield, (ultra short throw) projector with at least a 100" (acoustically transparent) screen. It’ll be expensive but I hope to get this done in 2years (by end of 2023)

4 Likes

Are there physical meetups for audiophile in KE?

Who is an Audiophile?! None that I knew of.

I have switched to Apple Music from Spotify. The quality of Apple Music is, of course, better. The main challenge with Spotify is the algorithm always replays the same twenty songs. It’s the Kiss FM of streaming platforms.

3 Likes