YouTube Will Apparently Increase Ads in Music Videos

We came across this headline in the office: YouTube to increase number of ads some users see between music videos as part of strategy to convince more of its billion-plus viewers to pay for a forthcoming subscription music service.

According to the article, people who use YouTube primarily for music will start getting loads and loads of ads in-between songs so as to push such users to opt to pay for YouTube Music. This, to me, is an all-time low for YouTube… What do you think?

money must be made. . .

I would gladly subscribe to YouTube red if it was available in Kenya. Otherwise hii itakua kutunyanyasa :persevere:

Remember the latest chrome browser update brings built-in ad blocker huku wanablock huko wanaunblock Google got some weird decisions but isorait

Subscription service, how much are we talking about here

Hakunaga yenye upita $10

It’s only blocking annoying and intrusive ads(like pop ups).

Yeah which is better than a browser with no ad blocker

I think its time YouTube to give way for another incoming Video web to take over.
Am sure once they start doing so, it will somehow lose millions of its users

I dont know if its true but its almost impossible to compete with YouTube… kwa sababu ya pesa. Ati YouTube still remains unprofitable. Competitors like Vessel ended up bankrupt. Until someone finds a way to make money in such platforms, it will be hard for any worthy competitor to come by. Maybe thats why they want people to subscribe monthly…

You know These tech innovators are the ones keep repeating this phrase “Nothing is Impossible”. New comers wont affect Youtube in terms of winning but at least will make Youtube to forget these normal user subscription idea

The music industry has been pressing YouTube to increase its royalties.

They currently pay one-seventh (If I remember correctly) of the rates other streaming services pay.

Youtube

• 1 billion users.
  • 1 billion dollars paid to record labels in 2016.

Spotify

• 100 million users. (Around 50% are premium users)
  • 2 billion dollars paid to record labels in 2016.

Nadhani ndio maana wanapush hizi streaming services sana.

EDIT

The new approach marks a big cultural shift for YouTube and its parent. Google, a division of Alphabet Inc., has sustained the most popular video site and search engine in the world by prioritizing free, easy-to-use services.

“Our top priority at YouTube is to deliver a great user experience, and that includes ensuring users do not encounter excessive ad loads,” the company said. “For a specific subset of users who use YouTube like a paid music service today – and would benefit most from additional features – we may show more ads or promotional prompts to upsell to our paid service.”

Cohen said he prevailed upon his colleagues and bosses to make some changes to “be good partners” to the music industry. They will “smoke out” people who can afford to pay for a subscription and shepherd them to the new service.

“There’s a lot more people in our funnel that we can frustrate and seduce to become subscribers,” Cohen said. “Once we do that, trust me, all that noise will be gone and articles people write about that noise will be gone.”

YouTube plans a significant marketing campaign to back the new paid service, Cohen said.

Source - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-21/youtube-to-frustrate-some-users-with-ads-so-they-pay-for-music

My first reaction to this was, ‘Youtube has ads!? since when?’ Then I remembered I’ve had adblock since forever. Carry on, don’t mind me.