Xiaomi gets into Kenya, interview

Aii @Peter_Ngure, I have to disagree with you. All the brands you have mentioned have serious underlying issues, especially in one area you care about, privacy.

The quality of the hardware and software on these devices is terrible… They have very few phones that are attractive. Most of them are wrongly advertised. I have bought an UMIDIG and Ulefone thinking they looked really good until you get your hands on them and regret the decision instantly.

Kabisa, but to each his own.

Xiaomi probably knows exactly how many people flash custom roms on their devices since you need a server side bootloader unlock to unlock their phones. The good thing is they honour their warranty even if your bootloader is unlocked, unlike other companies.

when it comes to android warranty is for the weak, simu unaroot na ku unlock bootloader same day umeinunua

Compare on which grounds? I know you’re probably talking benchmarks but they are so overrated. The average smartphone user requires only a fraction of the processing power of midrange Qualcomm SoC’s (currently snapdragon 660’s) and newer MTK SoC’s perform almost as well as those midrange Snapdragons often for a lower price.

Battery wise, I admit that Snapdragons are efficient but MTK is catching up on that front with helio p23 and p60.

Flagship grade Qualcomm SoC’s are way too powerful for the average Android user unless you play heavy 3D games at max quality and use uber heavy apps like KineMaster which, if you do, you are a minority because such tasks are best left to standalone PC’s. Anyways, even Qualcomm knows that their SoC’s are plenty powerful that’s why you see them going after the PC market. If their foray in that market proves profitable, they might split their SoC’s into mobile and PC versions because clearly it makes no sense to keep making them more powerful for smartphone use. I saw SONY has started making phones with 4K screens just because the CPU can support it and as a marketing gimmick because 4K on a phone? SERIOUSLY?! Of what use could it possibly be except for Virtual reality which, let’s be honest, is still at its infancy stages.

Yeah, you’re right, quality control issues plague these brands sometimes but if you spend enough time to study the market sentiments, you’ll get a great device every time. Personally I never buy phones from these companies on pre-order because I’ll be the Guinea pig so I wait a month to three months after the consumer devices start shipping (more if I want a custom ROM). That way, if you know where to look, you’ll see plenty of discussion about any newly released phone and armed with that information, you can go ahead and buy the one that causes few to no tears being shed.

Unfortunately for these brands, every once in a while you’ll get a phone that utterly disappoints customers but those are getting fewer. The quality of manufacturing techniques is converging with every passing day because even unknown brands in China are getting access to the most modern equipment because of technological advancement and the oversupply of manufacturing facilities in the country. Furthermore, very few companies dominate the production and supply of vital components of smartphones. Just to name a few, these companies dominate in producing the respective components…

1. DRAM chips: Samsung, SK Hynix, Micron

2.Camera Modules: SONY, Samsung, OmniVision, Toshiba, SK Hynix

1. Internal Memory (colloquial:ROM): Samsung, Micron (also manufactures NAND flash for Intel), SanDisk, SK Hynix, Toshiba (in 50-50 joint venture with SanDisk)

2. Displays: Samsung, Japan Display, LG, Sharp, Chimei, AUO

3. Batteries: Samsung SDI, LISHEN, BAK, BYD, HYB battery, DNK Power, ATL, Foxconn, SGM, ERD, CELCOM, Eastar, Honoto

6.SoC: Apple, Qualcomm, Exynos, Kirin, MediaTek, Surge (Xiaomi’s first attempt).

My point is that there are thousands of smartphones out there but considering that there are often just over five companies supplying almost all important components of the phones, it is not that easy for a company to make a dramatically different phone (of comparable price) from another company in the areas that matter. Quality control is usually the biggest complaint of smartphone user-reported problems.

I guess I’m a bit fortunate to not have come across these quality control issues but really luck has little to do with it. With the sheer number of smartphones produced, only a small percentage of them are plagued with these issues. Heck! Even big brands like Samsung and Apple sometimes get bit by the QC bug not because they are not good manufacturers but because they use numerous third-party components.

Finally!! A fellow tweak freak :grin::grin::grin:. There was actually a time I used to cook my own custom ROM when CyanogenMod was still alive. Because of limited time, now I just wait for the nerds at XDA and 4PDA to whip up something sweet for my phone. Privacy issues and non existent ROM updates become a thing of the past as long as you have a fairly popular device SoC notwithstanding.

Some Chinese manufacturers are now releasing the source code for their ROMS very quickly and sometimes even partnering with recognized developers to bring the latest Android has to offer to their popular models. That offloads their limited staff to concentrate on Rn’D and keeps customers happy because they get ROM updates OTA.

Snapdragon is waaaaaaaaaaaay better. I have used both extensively and SD is just better. The problem with MTK is software optimisaztion. Apps are always crushing leading to black screens and a need to restart the phone.

I know not what you guys speak of. I have used Infinix for the past 3 years, on the zero 5 pro now. Device works as advertized and is more reliable than team iPhone, team Sony ETC. the battery life is fine and rarely have anything to complain about. I think there is no one size fits all device. The iPhone is likely the closest.

I’d love to see how you arrived at this? Was there a decade-long research that you conducted somewhere in the mountains?

You do not have to bash everything just to make a point. How many modern-day iPhones, Sony, Pixel, Nokia etc devices have you used extensively? And no, kuscroll simu ya display does not count.

The device works as advertised and is very reliable.” would have conveyed your message clearly and I would have taken your reply seriously.

Relax. its not a fight. There are users of Infinix that complain too. My point is the devices do what they say they will do, I have used a Sony Experia X something and it regularly hanged. iPhone has hands down the worst battery life of all smartphones followed closely by Samsung devices. Thats the basis of my snide at reliability.

You honestly cannot use this to label all Xperias bad. You probably had an old model Xperia with baby RAM.

Again, it is wrong to generalize. A device like the S8 Plus has better than good battery life. Infinix just have really big batteries which sacrifices their aesthetics, something that Apple and Samsung are not willing to do.

I think it is fair to say that you are in love with Infinix because they cost less and we can cut them some slack even when they misbehave.

i think Xiaomi have great products and can do well locally but they need to make a simple ecosystem play and strategy locally…A Xiaomi Notebook running windows at an affordable price,a Xiaomi smartphone at an affordable price point,A Xiaomi Smart TV and a few xiaomi accessories like Mi-Band and android tv box…then setup a nice experience centre in CBD or Westlands where customers can try out and buy the products if they are happy with them…they should ensure their products(TV,Notebook,Phone) run stock OS(Windows and Android) with inbuilt additional Xiaomi storefront apps that provides customers to link all these devices and accessories using paid/free apps and addons…I feel this way they will be a bigger brand and sell more products locally plus have decent visibility.

Wueh umeniumiza, that must’ve been a low tier Xperia you were using and as a Sony fanboy i will also tetea those other phone brands you mentioned coz you’ve also generalized them. Be specific and give us the specific phone brand, number and/or Specs before judging.

Personally i have a Sony Xperia Z3+ since 2016 and counting bila hanging. It rocks a 3GB/32GB, Octacore CPU with a Snapdragon 810 chipset under its hood, and of course when i upgrade i can never go below a Snapdragon 810 chipset, i will shoot straight for a Snapdragon 820-835 chipset. My future wishlist phone options with these chipsets include;

Xperia XZ - 3GB/32GB - Snapdragon 820
Xperia XZs - 4GB/64GB - Snapdragon 820
LG V20 - 4GB/64GB - Snapdragon 820 (a by the way choice)
Xperia XZ1 - 4GB/64GB - Snapdragon 835
Xperia XZ Premium - 4GB/64GB - Snapdragon 835
Nokia 8 - 4GB/64GB - Snapdragon 835 (a by the way choice)

The lady of the house has the Xperia Z2 3GB/16GB - Snapdragon 801 na yake pia iko intact i bought them around the same time. Shes not a power user like me but i can tell you with her mad surfing and social media usage she has never given me her phone to format or clear data from heavy apps like she used to kitambo with the other phone brands she had that used to hang alot.

The only downside to Xperias (and i say this with a heavy heart) is their battery life, their kawaida 2700-2900mAh batteries hazileti shangwe. That’s why i’m leaning more towards the Xperia XZ Premium coz atleast it comes with a 3230mAh battery (hides face)

My bad with the generalizations, I suppose I really lean towards good battery life and so that remains my killswitch for decisions. Not a power user either so maybe that’s why team Chinese satisfies my needs.

The redmi note 4 had the first android pie rom built from source over the weekend.

This is in addition to the treble pie roms that have been out for months. Definitely a great phone for budget conscious tinkerers.

and the redmi note 5 pro being sold on jumia is it the chinese model ama ni global one? any one who has bought or tried it?

It’s a Kenyan/global model cuz inauzwa na Xiaomi EA. for 18k only, whereas other vendors are selling it for 23-25k 32gb model.

buying an Xperia phone in 2018 is just illegal.

Punishable too :relieved::joy::joy::joy: