Would You Use a Kenyan Hosting Service?

So, after the issues that Angani had and the issues with Safaricom’s hosting, I would like to know if there is any of you who would still use a local hosting service?

And if you already use local hosting, who is your service provider?

I have used Sasahost before and the only good thing is that they accept m-pesa payments, otherwise their custimer service sucks, big time. If you’re going to use Sasahost, pray that you do not encounter any problems, because you’ll be alone.

Tried both, didn’t like either. They give you limitations on a lot of things, space, upload/download bandwidth and I don’t believe we have laws to stop them eavesdropping and snooping on your servers. Germany it is for now.

I’ve just been alerted to this question. Obviously, I’m an interested party (I run Node Africa). We’ve had a good record of reliability over the last year and our infrastructure has been endorsed by several folks (including VMware) as being well built. We’re currently serving customers from three different continents (30% of our workloads are from out of the continent). We’ve worked with banks, insurance companies, content providers etc. There’s more to read about here http://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/customers/vmware-node-africa-17q1-case-study.pdf

There’s a lot of local capacity to run tech, it’s just that the market information isn’t spreading as quickly as it ought to…

I have an interest in learning about Node Africa - Culture, Technical Offering, Client Privacy, SLA’s - that sort of thing so I can advice (potential) clients of mine on how best to leverage themselves from a technology perspective. Thing is, there isn’t much information about you guys that’s available, and the person who I could find that knows the most about you, was because they had applied for a job there.

Maybe your target market isn’t the kind of people I deal with - SME’s (30 employees or less) but I do believe you should have a way for interested techies to gain as much knowledge as they can about your products and services with the least effort. I want to understand Node Africa products and services at almost the same level as I do Microsoft Products, or Google Services.

Having an open day where you invite interested techies and talk about what you do and how you can add value to them and their clients, show demos or even give freemium/time-trial accounts for testing would go a long way. It may seem like a lot of work, and one might argue your time is best spent trying to win over large clients, but I would argue it is the opposite. In the age of ‘below the line’ marketing, the least financially influential may just turn out to be your biggest asset.

An example of this is Casey Neistat’s Beme, which he spent so much time getting investors and content only for it to be bought by CNN because the CEO listened to the advice of his teenage son on who to pay attention to, who matters in media. You can read about it HERE

Something to consider…

Thanks for the feedback Teri. The read was fascinating.

I agree with you - we’ve been relatively quiet about what we are doing and why we are doing it, hence our brand has not been as pervasive as it ought to be, nor is our product well differentiated.

We have a revamp on our site scheduled (that will give more information on what we do) as well as some automation to make it easier to self provision on our platform.

You’d be surprised to learn we aren’t focused purely on large corporates, we’ve got a healthy list of SMEs as our customers.

I’d like to have a one on one chat about this soon if you have the time. Will reach out separately.

Why does this look like a very good AMA subject? @kaboro

:slight_smile:I’m not opposed to the idea