Why 5G is still years away to fruition

I have been doing a lot of research on 5G and I have bad news for you guys. In the recent months/years everyone has been hyping 5G, claiming how fast and revolutionary it will be. The latency is crazy low and its deployment might render fiber to the home worthless. I do not dispute these claims since they all hold true. However, in my opinion, we are still (many) years away from enjoying what it offers.

5G deployment will require the use of high frequency bands to deliver data. This frequency ranges from 30 to 300GHz (4G uses 2-8GHz on 5-20MHz passband bandwidth). If you have done some engineering or physics you do understand that very high frequency has one major weakness- it is easily blocked by anything. At the stated deployment frequency of 5G, it will be blocked even by rain :joy::joy:. Also, 5G, unlike 4G or lower technologies, will transmit its signal as a concentrated beam directly to your device rather than all directions.

Due to its inability to penetrate buildings well like 4G, carriers will be required to deploy more masts to cover large areas (you also know that very high frequency has less distance coverage… wavelength). In many areas, 5G will be a very expensive investment for telcos to deploy.

In my opinion, we are still very many years away to experiencing 1 ms or less latency and over 500MB/s speeds. 4G is here to stay, sorry guys :joy::joy:. However, FTTH might be somehow replaced… since one will need to fix his or her router at specific place where 5G can reach it. Sorry for the long post…I know many of you are aware of this :grin: but, lets help others who arent in the know. Hope this topic survives till the deployment of 5G in Kenya, and I will look back and see how uninformed I was “back then” :relieved::relieved:.

A 5G standard isn’t even expected until 2020 therefore talk is cheap. This thread might as well be closed because 5G tech is essentially still in alpha testing.

What? :joy::joy::joy: Do some digging… Carriers like T-Mobile are deploying 5G later this year and early 2019. And my “cheap” talk is trying to address the hype which is everywhere online :grin:

It might be useful in very highly populated areas like a stadium, during a graduation. In the meantime Telkom and Airtel only have 3G services in major towns :rofl::rofl:

Several firms (Ericsson, ZTE, Huawei, Samsung) have been developing and testing 5G tech over the last couple of years. However a universal standard isn’t out yet meaning deployment of 5G is still years out.

You do the digging my friend.

:grin: yeah, for now they are using proprietary standards… but that’s how 4G began and everyone was always like its not the standard… Nonetheless, expect nothing short of the above frequency if you want the indicated latency and speeds. The only other way they can make improvements over 4G is just compromise on some aspects to make it feasible…

3GPP finalized a standard late last year, i think.

Kind of… but some carriers are compromising the “standard” frequency to be “first” in deploying… ka kina Tmobile… the low band 5G they are using will not be able to reach the accepted 5G speeds. However, if they plan to use the high frequency, cost will be a significant impediment

There is a workaround around this problem. They intend to make use of millimeter wave frequencies (mmWave). These mmWaves will require the deployment of micro-towers to supplement the BTS. These micro-towers can even be installed on electricity poles and they are very energy efficient and can accommodate thousands of users if not hundreds.

The problem is, may mmWaves micro-towers have to be installed like everywhere. A place like the CBD would require one after every three buildings to help address the issue about penetration.

Not yet, especially with regard to use of mmWaves to help enhance penetration of 5G across walls and in dense areas.

“The specifications reportedly cover support for low-, mid- and high-band spectrum, from below 1 GHz, like 600 and 700 MHz, all the way up to around 50 GHz, and include the 3.5 GHz band.”

Ocha either tusahau 5g au tukue nayo imbo :grin::grin:

This is the Non-standalone standard(makes use of existing LTE infrastructure). The standalone standard is expected in June 2018.

Kwanza ushago kwetu kwenye hata T.V na radio kushika ni shida. 5G may be hadi 2050 wakati 7G or 8G itakua.

What about the health implications for all those micro towers needed? There are a number of studies linking 5G millimeter wavelengths to heart problems, birth defects, decreased antibiotic sensitivity, cataracts, and immune system suppression.

Lol wut? Please link to these dubious studies.

The only forms of radiation proven to be harmful to human health are at the high end of the electromagnetic spectrum (gamma rays, x-rays and ultraviolet). Radio waves are not damaging to humans or animals and there’s two hundred years worth of research to back that up.

kwani unatoka karibu na kwa Joseph Korny, resistance leader?

Also heard of this and I think this will be the norm in future, microtowers on every corner you turn to, probably even in the house kwanza sisi watu wa ma flat

I wouldn’t want to hear any Kenyan Telco launching 5G before letting us experience the full potential of 4G… LTE CAT4 devices are capable of handling 150Mbps but what ISPs are availing to us is far much less than half of that including Safaricom.

Kumbuka watu wengi wa ocha ata hawajui streaming ni nini na ukiwauliza kama wanajua YouTube wanasema ni container ya maziwa. Movies wao huenda kwa video kuona DJ Afro ama zile huonyeshwa kwa “big screen” kwa town center.

What do they need 5G for?