Which Power Laptops are we using in 2018?

Si mbaya ziko hapo tu

I know, i was waiting to be indulged :slightly_smiling_face:

Not 100% true.

Surface Book 2? 15’ MacBook Pro? XPS 15? MSI GS65 Stealth Thin? Razer Blade 15? Gigabyte Aero 15, Asus Zephyrus (up to GTX 1080 Max Q)?

All these are under an inch thick (largest is 0.75 inches) and they all have a modern dGPU in them.

They are thin but not HP Spectre 13 (0.41 inches) or Acer swift 7 (0.39) thin… find me one thick as the Spectre that you can game with…
We have redefined “thin laptops” in the recent past…:grin:

I’d love to meet someone who would pass on a similarly priced laptop with a 10 series GPU and a high-end processor (Not U or Y series) because the laptop is 0.2 - 0.4 inches thicker.

I get what you are saying though. :grin:

Here I am, I am not a gamer. I just like a combination of light (mobility) power and function. If I had all the money I can spend on a laptop I’d pick the top Carbon X1 or XPS 13. Because they have power, design, light weight, good display, and all the basic ports. Yes, a HDMI port matters to me, an SD card reader too, but for that I can use a dongle, USB 3.1 (because your printer still uses this).

Also, thicker means heavier, I don’t want a laptop that’s more than 1.5kg, ideal weight is 1.2kg.

If you are not a power user (A couple of Chrome tabs, some YouTube, MS Office, the occasional Photoshop etc), a laptop with a U or Y series processor, an SSD and 8 gigs of RAM would suffice.

The XPS 13, Carbon X1, HP Spectre & Co. aren’t really Power/Pro laptops. They are above Chromebooks but below Pro laptops. I am not sure what that group is called (Ultrabooks?).

Most of these ‘thin’ laptops with dedicated GPUs and high-end mobile processors aren’t meant for gaming. Their cooling, for the most part, isn’t that good for sustained loads.

They shine in applications that require short bursts of power (Exporting a video, rendering, compiling some code, Photoshop, emulators, VMs etc.)

Integrated GPUs also use a percentage of your system’s memory (They do not have dedicated memory). If you are a heavy multi-tasker, this is obviously not ideal.

SIDE NOTE: The 8th Gen U-series processors are quad-core with multithreading now. Their overall performance is similar to the 7th Gen HQ processors. You can’t go wrong with them.

Hehehehehehe!
I’ve ordered for a “double dongle” from Aliexpress.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/dodocool-7-in-1-Multifunction-USB-C-Hub-with-Type-C-4K-Video-HD-VGA-Gigabit/32794572095.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.44dd4c4dS2Ztrk

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-New-USB-C-3-1-Type-C-Male-to-USB-3-0-Female-Adapter-for/32681538065.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.44dd4c4dS2Ztrk

Mother of all dongles :joy::joy::joy:

AAArrrgh , i would have sold you the Microsoft display dock which i am 99% sure it would have resolved your issue , nice build quality.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/accessory/hd-500

How about this for you @martingicheru

Definitely a good recommend. It’s got all the important ports including SD card reader on that tiny frame. Price is also not bad, I could plan for this.

Update: I got a Thinkpad T480s (i5 8th Gen vPro/16/256) and I think I’m set for the next few years. It’s got all the ports (HDMI, USB 3.1 x 2, USB C charger, Thunderbolt, headphone jack and SD card reader. Screen is 14 FHD, 1.3kgs and almost as thin as a Carbon X1 without the steep price.

Thinkpads have a wrong placement of the function and control keys. They switched them from where they are supposed to be.

Thank you for attending my TED talk.

did the posta guys demand for tea

No, I gave them a handshake. :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

I’ve heard great reviews about X1 Carbon. It’s my no. 1 go to machine when I’m ready to upgrade.

Waiting for your review.

It does perform well, 9 hrs battery on my regular use, good enough display at full HD (naturally there are brighter screens for outdoor use, doesn’t bother me much), light, great keyboard, although the edge may be uncomfortable on the hand after a while. Great placement of all the ports. I am starting to learn to use the trackpoint.

I have been using a touch Pavilion, and I miss a touch display, sometimes you just feel touch pointing and/or scrolling is faster, but that’s just privilege, it’s okay. There is slight changes from the ideapad as far as the keyboard placement is concerned. The ideapad had the home, end, page up and pagedown keys on one line at the end, came in handy when scrolling.

All in all it’s a good laptop, I would recommend.

Please update us on the above.

Which part do you wish to know?