072* - Safaricom
073* - Airtel
074* - Safaricom
075* - Yu Mobile (now in Airtel)
076* - Equitel
077* - Telkom
078* - Airtel
079* - Safaricom

And according to the CA’s statistics mobile subscriptions are still rising. Are we about to start using 11 digit mobile numbers once these prefixes are fully utilized?

This would make a good article.

11 digits kama Nigeria

Wow! Our numbers are 10 digits? I have never thought about counting them! Mimi as long as when a person gives me their contact I have my phone handy it wouldn’t matter how many digits it has. At that time the most important thing to me is whether my phone is online so that Google can back it up to the cloud. I’m curious, how many phone numbers can you recall?

HAHA enyewe you’re too concerned about backing up your data!

Well… lets leave it at maybe because there’s a chance they could switch to (01/02/03/04/05/06/07/08/09). I think we’re not yet there for 11 digits. Just saying!

Yea we could still remain at 10 digits., coz when I wrote this topic what I had in mind was that they couldn’t use the other 01 to 06 codes coz they’ve already largely assigned them to landline area codes as shown in this link
http://www.kenyaspace.com/Kenyatelephonecodes.htm
However the landline codes were changed from 4 digits to 3 digits years back and Telkom is pushing existing landline users to switch to their wireless 020 lines, regardless of which area of the country they are. Maybe CA will assign four-digit codes from 01** to 0699 to mobile., but let’s wait and see

I think they should start reusing numbers that are dormant. There are many, lets do math:
considering 07 is constant, that leaves 8 numbers with 10 choices for each.

10 choices for each number raised by a power of 8 is 100 million.
Safaricom has 5 selections (070, 071, 072, 074, 079)

This means that safaricom has 100 million multiplied by 5
this amounts to 500 million.

We are not that many in Kenya, unless these Telcos are leaving unused combinations for many other reasons (that’s around 452 million unused numbers, assuming even one year olds have saf lines).
Someone correct me if am wrong

Update:
Am wrong due to a minor error, cuz kama ni 072, itabaki tu 072.
so, that leaves 7 possible numbers with 10 choices each
hence; 10 raised to power 7 is 10 million.
Multiplied by 5, that 50 million.
Assuming even 1 day olds have lines, that means there 2 million unused numbers kwa safaricom, waache mchezo :roll_eyes::smirk:

I think you might be so right

Also factor in the number of devices one person may own. phone, tablet, modem, routers, car trackers. Devices that require sim cards.

Yeah, point to consider. However a solution I can offer safaricom is, instead of assigning 11 numbers to new subscribers (if they fill up 50 million combinations they already have), they should change the existing numbers (only those not used by humans directly, eg, car trackers, businesses, IoTs) to 11 numbers. Then assign the current 10 numbers to only direct subscribers (humans).

Switching to 11 numbers and assuming only 3 are constant, that means there will be 100 million combinations, of which business and IoTs cannot exhaust in the near future.

I don’t know if am making sense.

Chief, umefanya statistics? Hiyo yote thafu jo

Just thought, is there any rule that says all numbers have to start with “0”?