What happens when one closes Mpesa account

Curious, anyone ever closed an Mpesa account, or you all use it to eternity?
If you have what happens? Is there something like closing an Mpesa account?

There doesn’t seem to be any information available online on that subject. However I believe Safaricom must have some internal process.

When you factor in the number of people that are deceased or that willingly chose to terminate their lines, there must be a procedure.

:joy: closing it you might be highly suspected in negative ways for no reasons

No need to go very far, it’s all in the terms and conditions of Mpesa. That little paper you did not read and threw away immediately on opening the welcome pack. It’s available online here.

13.4. You may request your Account to be closed at any time
by giving written notice to Safaricom addressed to: MPESA
Operations, Safaricom, P.O. Box 66827
Westlands, Nairobi - 00800, or delivered to M-PESA
Operations, Safaricom House, Waiyaki Way, Westlands. Safaricom shall act on such instructions if, and only if, your account balance reads zero (0).

Your Account shall be suspended if you port your
number to other networks or if your SIM has been
inactive for a period of ninety (90) days or such other
period as may be prescribed.

Don’t know about you but for the rest of us mortals, there’s also

13.7. This agreement terminates automatically upon the death of
the Customer who has signed up for the M-PESA services.

Well documented on the Safaricom website or even in the terms below.

18.9. A person claiming access to funds by virtue of being a
Successor (in the event of death) or Manager (in the event of
permanent incapacity) shall, upon request by Safaricom,
produce letters of administration/grant of probate (in the
event of death) or a court order authorizing the person to
manage the estate (in the event of permanent incapacity) or
such other document as may be prescribed.

Though it doesn’t really matter if you close your Mpesa line since in any case any Kenyan number that can receive an SMS can both receive and withdraw from Mpesa whether registered or not.

Thanks for this, so this means if you need to close you write a letter to a tech company. How modern!

This thing is not easy. I won’t say much about it but some things need to be changed in this country.

I understand one can close their account at a Safaricom shop, but they are working on a digital solution.

Correct. Like google they could simply ask the users to list the number/names of beneficiaries upon a certain lapse of no activity/when your number is shut etc.

Nakwambia. We wanted to change of ownership on the line so someone can have access to the line and use it. May be pass it on to generations. Tukaambiwa letter of admin, affidavit, and those things ni process kupata.

It took us three years before tupewe letter of admin juu ya chief kusumbua. Siwezi sema where tumefikia now but it has taken 4 years to reach there. But nikumalizia tuna malizia.

What hurts me the most ni the moment I reported it Safcom and requested for a name change, the line ikazimwa the same day. Hehe that meant we only had a few days (90 days or is it 120 days) to replace it na kupata tu letter of admin ni shida.

The line has a new owner now. Unfortunately, mom passed on a year later after dad and the first incidence gave us a lesson.

Tunangojea everything when finalized then we request for change of ownership sasa.

So ya dad hatuezi jua how many bonga or mpesa was in his line keeping in mind tangu we enrolled him on bonga he’d never redeemed the points.

Nakwambia. We wanted to change of ownership on the line so someone can have access to the line and use it. May be pass it on to generations. Tukaambiwa letter of admin, affidavit, and those things ni process kupata.

It took us three years before tupewe letter of admin juu ya chief kusumbua. Siwezi sema where tumefikia now but it has taken 4 years to reach there. But nikumalizia tuna malizia.

What hurts me the most ni the moment I reported it Safcom and requested for a name change, the line ikazimwa the same day. Hehe that meant we only had a few days (90 days or is it 120 days) to replace it na kupata tu letter of admin ni shida.

The line has a new owner now. Unfortunately, mom passed on a year later after dad and the first incidence gave us a lesson.

Tunangojea everything when finalized then we request for change of ownership sasa.

So ya dad hatuezi jua how many bonga or mpesa was in his line keeping in mind tangu we enrolled him on bonga he’d never redeemed the points.

I can feel how frustrating that can be. Customer care is almost practically dead in so many other industries as well. Little to zero follow-ups, escalation policies, ticketing systems etc. Its easier if you decide to beat the system :slight_smile:

I feel you bro pole for your loss and all the hustle

Pole sana for everything.

For mpesa I think that one will be paid out to you if the process goes through. You can also check the unclaimed financial assets authority since once the money lies idle for two years it is forwarded to them for safe custody until claimed.
Bonga points is probably lost but you can ask them and see though bonga I don’t think can be defined as property or assets.

For anything involving money, this can’t work. The law is quite clear on the process of claiming assets for a deceased person so even Safaricom is in a bind. It even works the same way for banks. Recently a relative passed and instead of going the long long way to claim money officially the family just withdrew slowly slowly via the ATM. Fortunately, someone knew the pin and there was no conflict on sharing.