UBUNTU - Installing the Linux OS for the first time

I am installing Ubuntu for the first time today. What do I need to know?

I would advice installing something like Mint with Cinnamon desktop first.

1 Like

Nothing really, just follow the steps on https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-install-ubuntu-desktop#0

You will decide whether it’s a clean install or you want to dual boot (if windows pre-exists).

1 Like

Install it on a VM unless you are contemplating installing it from boot on ur machine.

I botched the first try so now I am trying this. I created a bootbale flash disk with Elementary Os to check it out. The USB disk stopped working after that.

Just format the disk to a common FS like fat 32. You asked what you need to know here is what you need to know.

1. Windows will not read Ubuntu partition and it will remain hidden as long as it exists.
  2. When installing, don’t use the option given to install alongside. Do make a separate partition prior to install and choose “something else” so you can choose the partition.
  3. All partitions intended to be used in Linux must have a mount point. For a single partition, just mount root.
  4. There is a swap partition that is needed but you can skip it. This should be equal to double the size of your RAM
  5. Most importantly, install Windows fast then Linux afterwards.

Follow this and you will wipe your disk clean. Only do so if installing in vm Ware or a dedicated machine