I am installing Ubuntu for the first time today. What do I need to know?
I would advice installing something like Mint with Cinnamon desktop first.
Nothing really, just follow the steps on https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-install-ubuntu-desktop#0
You will decide whether it’s a clean install or you want to dual boot (if windows pre-exists).
Install it on a VM unless you are contemplating installing it from boot on ur machine.
I botched the first try so now I am trying this. I created a bootbale flash disk with Elementary Os to check it out. The USB disk stopped working after that.
Just format the disk to a common FS like fat 32. You asked what you need to know here is what you need to know.
- Windows will not read Ubuntu partition and it will remain hidden as long as it exists.
- When installing, don’t use the option given to install alongside. Do make a separate partition prior to install and choose “something else” so you can choose the partition.
- All partitions intended to be used in Linux must have a mount point. For a single partition, just mount root.
- There is a swap partition that is needed but you can skip it. This should be equal to double the size of your RAM
- Most importantly, install Windows fast then Linux afterwards.
Follow this and you will wipe your disk clean. Only do so if installing in vm Ware or a dedicated machine