Tala and Branch needing access to contacts

So I was trying out Tala and Branch today and they insist on getting access to my contacts. I wonder whatthose have to do with getting a loan?

It’s probably part of their KYC. I don’t know.

These apps should always come with a detailed explanation of why they need each set of permissions.
Unfortunately by the time you are installing Tala or Branch you do so out of need and things like what permissions are required probably won’t stop you from installing anyway.

True I seriously wonder what the regulator has to say about such.

Someone gave an answer on Twitter:

The most recent Eazzy Banking update is requesting for contact access when you are trying to send money even to another bank account or a paybill.

It seems Kenyan companies have decided to go all in.

That reason sounds rather absurd. Do late night drunken calls to an ex boost or lower a person’s credit score?

On a more serious note, what stops them from selling contact information for ad money? We do need to take data protection more seriously in this country.

Absurd because we probably don’t understand. Before we go up in arms, we should first question why they need such a permission and guage whether it’s worth the risk or not. Right now we are all just complaining and them going back to Tala to ask for a loan.

My point exactly. What is the is correlation between private contact information and credit worthiness?

Correct. The Kenyan public doesn’t care at all.

ati a person who calls his or her mother regularly is less risky… my fren :grin::grin::grin:

This loan apps have put me in debt that i can not dare install any other the temptation is real but on a Light not i think they need access to contact so that incase of a default then u disappear they can find u through your contacts

Kwani ni mafia?? :slight_smile:

Many kenyans are cycling through the app loans and salary, a tricky balancing act, what I wonder is if a customer can opt to delete his account from the apps, one of my fundi has losns from all the apps from Tala,branch,equitel,mshwari,kcb mpesa and I want to help him quit, can one erase his number from the apps?

If they have a delete account option, it might be possible. Otherwise, no.

It is insane the amount of information these apps collect.

Tala - Information stored on your Device, including contact lists, call logs, SMS logs, contact lists from other social media accounts, photos, videos or other digital content (Content Information)

Branch - information stored on your Device, including contact lists, call logs, SMS logs, Facebook friends, contact lists from other social media accounts, photos, videos or other digital content (Content Information)

If you want the loan then You MUST grant them access to contacts.

Alar, why do they need all that? I am starting to think this is not just for the loans.

Let’s wait for Cambridge Analytica 2.0

Kenyan Regulators are doing poorly in dealing with protecting our interests as tech users in kenya.

Update: Branch told me you must have a Facebook account to use them. I bet they harvest everything to determine whether you are a credit risk. Needless to say I ditched them.