Smart TVs: They are watching you

samsung

Apparently, Smart TVs are also nodes through which privacy is thinning out for consumers. See this thread here that I came across earlier today. https://twitter.com/buro9/status/980349887006076928 . An application called Samba is collecting all the data from Smart TVs and their privacy policy allows them to share it with third parties. The problem is worsened by the allegations of snooping on peripheral devices on a network through which the TV runs. It now feels weird that my footprints on the TV can be connected to activity on my phone and on my laptop - and my neighbors phone (he steals my WiFi). I use a Samsung Tv and I think I will spend some time this week looking for their policy with samba and looking at how I can disable Samba. What do you guys think?

What i have always known is as long as u using any OS related to google your information will always be out there no matter how hard u try to be private the only difference is who the information is shared with

As far back as 2015 Samsung did admit that their smart tvs passively collect data on their users. It is a privacy nightmare with some of these devices.

I always tell myself that google and facebook can collect my data as long as they want, cuz they use it to serve me better ads… badala ya kuniletea adverts za ujinga sijui I buy 10 sufurias or something. But, I try to keep my data safe, especially from third parties and clearing cookies on insecure websites… and thats why Techweez should try to weka SSL certs hapa, I dont think its that expensive or complicated. Please Techweez.

Any device connected to the internet collects data on the user. What data it collects is what varies. For now accept that the NSA and GCHQ (British) have your data. If you use a Chinese made phone then the Chinese have your data too. The Russians will hack all the above and get your data if they need it. Privacy may never have existed though. Even Posta wasn’t so private.

Citation required. In this day and age you can get your social media and your free services without giving up personal data to firms that just abuse it.

How exactly will you prevent the collection of the data? Have you read the terms and conditions? They all say they will collect anonymized data whatever that is. Even your IP and location is data.

It is doable.

Sticking to the topic of this thread, a smart tv can be setup to use privacy friendly apps and plugins. Even for a novice, avoiding that login to Google or Facebook makes a world of difference. For an expert you can use vpns, clearing data after every session or simply sinkholing ad networks at the router.

Citing Facebook and this mess with Cambridge Analytica, the average user could have done more to secure their personal data.

As long as my Smart TV serves me with content i love and care about,i don’t care about the rest.Data is like the air we breathe now,you cant keep it to yourself.The best you can do is secure as much as you can and expose yourself to as much as you can so that you can tell who is trying to manipulate you online and mitigate against that.

We accept and move on. Its what it is and not any time soon Internet world will rethink of not collecting user data [quote=“Mark_Mwangi, post:5, topic:2121, full:true”]
Any device connected to the internet collects data on the user. What data it collects is what varies. For now accept that the NSA and GCHQ (British) have your data. If you use a Chinese made phone then the Chinese have your data too. The Russians will hack all the above and get your data if they need it. Privacy may never have existed though. Even Posta wasn’t so private.
[/quote]

I understand that its possible to select apps that are privacy friendly and avoid the whole Google and Facebook web of ad driven data collection. Yes you can do that but that wont stop other actors from getting in if they really want to. My argument is that so long as you are connected to the internet chances are your data is being collected either by telco, upstream provider (Seacom etc) or your local friendly spy service. That is if they want something from you. I dont think they just hoover everything including cat videos