Safaricom Football Academy in the works?

Safaricom is not beyond this, and I guess this is what they are up to. They have been teasing football related photos with Wanyama and Bob Collymore in them. See below image and GIF.

I think after doing quite well with ‘extracurricular activities’ Safaricom live, Groove Awards, Mpesa Academy and most recently Safaricom Jazz, they are onto the next non-telco thing. Football.
We love to hate Safaricom, but this is commendable, taking up projects and turning them around at country level. Whether they are in it for profit or not this is quite commendable.

@martingicheru Sponsorships? Academies? What are they really prying into?

I’m looking at starting a football team alongside a football academy, that looks like why they have Wanyama on it, to be the lead and start things up. I wouldn’t be surprised if they got a team in the KPL by buying players from other teams and then go to high schools and colleges for academy. But this is me wishing loudly.

I see the effect of SportPesa just made Safaricom to seriously consider its CSR position especially with regards to sports. SportPesa is leading sponsor of all games now (though yet to hear about them in athletics. I’m not sure though). The other day they won all CSR awards relating to sports in South Africa beating, Safaricom in all categories.

Time to make the billions make sense. But guys have you thought about a betting company? We might think it’s a football team or academy then mstukie ni betting company. We know how Safaricom is predating on every sector of the industry where there is money. The guys are now in real estate selling plots and houses.

Betting? That’s too far fetched.

However, I think they might have a KPL team.

Why would Bob Collymore be given jersey number 9? Can he play football?

Ronaldo, Torres, Falcao, Berbatov, Ibrahimovic, Martial, Bale, Giroud. Take your pick.

He’s a 9 year old.

Remember Sakata Ball…

Aha! Now we’re onto something.

The famed country wide tournament Safaricom Sakata Ball is back after a five year hiatus; Soka has reliably learnt. Set to kick off within the third quarter of this year, the tournament makes a welcome return for its third edition, the first since year 2011.

Sakata Ball first kicked off in 2010 as a boys only tournament across six regions in the country. 1,057 teams registered and took part then. Bukembe Youth Academy from Bungoma beat Bondo United to become the inaugural winner lifting a cool Kshs 500,000.

http://www.soka.co.ke/news/item/safaricom-sakata-ball-returns-after-five-years

Wanyama deal

Recently, in what gave a hint that the giant Telco operator will be revisiting the football path, Safaricom signed in Harambee Stars captain Victor Wanyama as their brand Ambassador.

I had no idea what Sakata Ball but thanks to Google, now I do

Thanks for the tip. Happy to see Nick Mwendwa managing to allow Safaricom to restore the tournament.

Life is interesting. Dad used to be Nick’s landlord and boy oh boy. The guy with the love for soccer. He used to be interesting. I have a lot to talk about his passion for soccer. Great to see and hear about him everyday.

its a good move nothing is awesome as giving back to the society hope that sticks arnd