mpesa
safaricom

Enyewe si mimi pekeyangu naona Telkom is stupid company

I was thinking/wondering
Why can’t there be a single infrastructure provider
Then the Fiber Companies can pay a fee to pass their Cables
For example, Company A is the Infrastructure Provider for area A
Company A ensures there is infrastructure (Tunnels/Pipes) covering area A
If Company B, C and D want to connect area A with fiber, they pay Company A to pass their Cables through Company A’s network

This way, the Cost of covering an area with fiber reduces, since the three Companies don’t need to dig trences in Area A separately
This also reduces the maintenance costs due to accidental disconnection as another company is doing their fiber network

I didn’t make any case for Safaricom to use copper & I challenge you to show me where I wrote, specifically, that the latter should use copper. I referred to all telcos & I only questioned why they don’t use the existing infrastructure. As for Zuku, they only use copper to deliver telephony service in to their triple pay package. As for internet, they use fiber for back haul to a termination point and then connect the ‘last mile’ to the customer using a coaxial cable. This is also shares the frequency with its TV channels. A splitter is installed at the customer’s premises to split the cable to the set top box and modem. The problem is that the cable is shared with other users. Considering the fact that Zuku probably use DOCSIS 3.0: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS , it heavily limits the bandwidth capacity to just over 1Gbps for download and 200Mbps for upload. Not to forget that not all frequencies are utilized for the sake of the TV stations. Also HFC(Hybrid Fiber Coaxial) needs amplifiers to boost signal and they need power and looking after. This is the bottleneck of Zuku; low bandwidth capacity that is heavily shared among users and high reliance of KPLC to power the amplifiers with little to no backup power. But it is still cheap to roll out HFC than FTTH. It is still relatively cheaper to provide a more robust and reliable HFC network than FTTH. Just have a read @ Virgin Media: http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/ultrafast.html , & see why they’re the number one preferred ISP in the UK. FTTH, while good for future demands, is an overpriced endeavor that only slows the growth of the telecommunication sector in Kenya because it will always target the same areas in place of the many others. Make no mistake, FTTH is very expensive for telcos, it’s no surprise Safaricom don’t want to connect single units because they know they would probably not recoup their investment. The former would happily offer a free install in a multi-dwelling unit because they know that they would get their money back in the end. Faiba will, happily, connect you but they will dump most of the cost to you. Zuku were right in choosing an economical method for both the provider and consumer but they are too tight-pursed!

You were not specific, but you said this, and safaricom is included

and this

I Know that you recommend Fibre to the node and then copper for distribution which can assist in connecting more Kenyans to broadband. I totally agree that this is the best way to increase coverage. But I dont agree with this

because you know the state of the existing “infrastructure,” maybe in Kwale it’s still solid, but in most areas its only the poles which are left “standing” :smile::smile:

FYI, copper prices have been rising and fibre cost has been plunging.

There’s a company I know they work with Safaricom to install FTTH, imagine most of the places they are installing fibre, the owners are disgruntled Zuku clients? Why? cuz Zuku really sucks when they need it the most. It made money by saving on copper, but where are its customers here?

Zuku doesn’t use Telkom’s DSL for the last mile connection; it uses coaxial cable. I said this already. The only problem is that it uses DOCSIS that is heavily restricted in bandwidth and it shares it among users. I talked about amplifiers etc which have nothing to do with Telkom’s DSL. A poor copper cable will not march fiber’s speed but it will provide >30Mbps in a non-vectored VDSL line. What I meant to say is that the improvement in DSL technology is more viable than FTTH. If I owned an ISP & wanted to deliver 100Mbps to a business premises 500M from the cabinet/node, I would’ve 2 options:
(i) Use existing copper that I know it’s, more likely than not, already connected to the premise for
telephony services or passes not more than 20M from the premise.
(ii) Connect using fiber.
The 1st option would incur less civil costs etc but deliver, probably, 35Mbps for a non-vectored VDSL line that’s in a very poor condition. The good news is that a business premise has a standard connection of not less than 8 copper pair connections. Thus, if the 1st pair gives me 35Mbps, I just add 2-3 more pairs to bond the connection and deliver the 100Mbps required with an option to deliver more if demand increases. Vectoring is attractive but not that necessary. Most of businesses in urban centers have at least a landline for telephony services.
The 2nd option will deliver all the bandwidth required but it will not only cost a lot to connect but take longer. The single OLT at the premises ain’t cheap either.
Now imagine the same situation but with a home user who only wants an internet connection of just 10Mbps @ 3,500/= pm. Will you dig fiber all the way there or will you just connect the copper pair from the binder that passes just 20M-50M from the house and dump the relatively cheaper connection-cost on them? You will still be able to deliver over 12Mbps at this range with older ADSL2 technology. VDSL2 will be more than enough for this

well, lets agree to disagree on this one. Coax is shared among users and this affects its delivery. DSL depends on the distance you are to from the isp (please don’t remind me again about using repeaters) and uploads do not quite match downloads. In my opinion, and if i had a business in town, I would prefer to wait on fibre, or connect to dsl in case its the only option, but when fibre is available I can switch immediately cuz I know about its reliability to my needs. If I owned a Telco, I would invest in fibre more than coax and dsl for future proofing my biz.

DOCSIS 3.1 full duplex can deliver 10Gbps down & 10Gbps up which gives FTTH a run for its money. Both of this technologies are shared. DSL is dedicated. Which standard of DSL matters a lot. If I were an ISP investing in FTTH only, I would only target the Kinoos, Embakasies, Syokimaus and the CBD because that’s where I’ll get money faster. The problem with this thinking is pretty much every other ISP is thinking the same. What about the Kawangwares, Kayoles, Eastlands etc? Don’t they have businesses too? Don’t they have low income consumers who want just 2Mbps internet? I read an article somewhere where it is alleged that an ISP signed 1500 customers in Kibera! More likely than not that those users a majority of 2-5mbps consumers. There’s copper cables around Kibera. Good luck digging and installing fiber to people who will subscribe to an average of 7 months per year and on 1200-2500 packages! When will you get your money back?! This could be solved by connecting individual customers to ADSL2+ DSLAMs at the local exchange which could be as far as 3KM away and still deliver over 10Mbps - not least with a bonded connection!:joy:

oh my, did you just say cable can give fibre a run for its money??? :smile::smile: do you know that the theoretical maximum speeds of fibre are to the north of 1Pbps?? “Can copper do that?” :smile: the 1Gbps cap is just what fibre can do without trying… :grin::grin:

Dont speak for consumers please, many guys in Roysambu and the kayoles you talking about are less than satisfied with the 2Mbps connection they get from other smaller providers. you cant even stream a YouTube video without “millions” of buffering cuz someone else is on Instagram. most clients, everywhere, want more. I used to think 10Mbps was okay, its not, even in average households. Stream a movie in HD and someone else will complain of crappy connection.
The problem here is that you think Kenyans are not aware of what they need. walk around and see for yourself

They’re beyond stupid! They have fiber in all counties with a good income but they can’t harness it. They’ve copper in many areas… left for dead!

Thank God you’re getting my point! Telkom runs THE National Optical Fiber Backbone Infrastructure. Why can’t the other ISPs lease bandwidth in this and save money on digging their own? I think Zuku leases this. If it’s an ISP war, why do they not disagree on leasing bandwidth from the undersea cable giants like TEAMS, LION , SEACOM? & the same thing am wondering; Safaricom, Zuku etc use Telkom copper cable to deliver ADSL and telephony services, why not upgrade to ADSL2+/VDSL/VDSL2 which can deliver higher bandwidth of upto 1Gbps depending on the condition and technology involved?

I had to call a guy who works with this to confirm, NOFBI is a government infrastructure (basically Telkom), but other Telcos like Saf use it to connect to other towns. Get your facts right.

I know Kenyans would love the 100Mbps offered @ an equivalent of 2,000/= in European countries. I know Kenyans hate that the current speeds and prices suck! The best ISP in Kenya will cost you 10k to give you speeds of 40mbps! If the ISPs were to increase internet penetration, there will be more uptake and the prices will come down too. Not many Kenyans can afford to pay over 5Kpm to get a reliable internet connection. Add a premium IPTV service which may or may not run away with your credit card number someday because it operates illegally! Maybe you don’t really get my point but if our ISPs would, at least, lease bandwidth with the NOFBI; they would reach more areas more quickly and save a lot of money on capital expenditure. The biggest problem is that the one who runs this is veeeery stupid: Telkom. They don’t quite realize the gem in their hands

This is vague to say the least. There’re conflicting reports about whether Saf leases from NOFBI or runs its own fiber from the landing points. But if your friend really does work @ NOFBI, then the former is right. A step in the right direction…