Safaricom Fibre To the Home Experiences,Please share

Hakuna huko. Imefika tu ICIPE.

Mwambie asihamie huko. The infrastructure there is stretched to the limit. Nilikuwa naishi Santon before the tap water started mixing with the sewerage. Then nikahamia Naivas where nilifukuzwa na power blackouts. Aki hakuna food ilikuwa ina survive for long even in the fridge. Mwiki might be okay except for the distance and some insecurity hotspots.

@barbzy hamia Rongai , no water problems with borehole water and Kiserian dam supplying water, great Airtel signal, and if you live around Maasai lodge you get Safaricom FTTH as well as the advantage of getting home araka in the evening traffic, well, not araka but first…Either way you are advantaged :smiley:

As freelancer, power blackouts are an enemy of progress.

Thank God I had already retired from freelancing when I moved to Kasarani. That place would have left me without any clients. The only place I liked at Kasarani is ICIPE drive. The place is a real gem. Too bad it’s almost impossible to get a house there.

Guys! Telkom speed this evening is 7.75 MBps!!! :scream: (see attached image)

Alafu @iamtembo naah…nilishahama somewhere nearer… but the building has free (read crappy) wifi and I am thinking I can’t stay here long if it goes on this way… darn thing can’t even connect!! :rage: At least there’s free DSTV :unamused:

@Peter_Ngure I wanted to look huko but eish! Can’t find a house!!:unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Jamii Telecoms speedtest server on is capped at 20Mbps. I don’t understand why.

That’s megabits, not megabytes. Your ping time shows that the network is a little busy. BTW I saw faster speeds two weeks ago. Look at this screenshot. I’ll test again after this 4G4Free offer is over.

What range do you think is best for ping time? Hapo sijuangi kama the lower the number the better ping time or vice versa?

That topic is so broad but I’ll try to summarize. Basically, the lower the ping time, the better your connection. But that doesn’t always hold true. The considerations are: is the connection better in terms of response time or sheer throughput (the total amount of data it can transfer)? This brings me to your first question.

I’ll start with an analogy for anyone who is seeing the word ‘ping’ for the first time. Let’s say you want to test how quickly your postal company can send a letter from you to another person and back. What you do is to write a letter with instructions for the recipient to send it back as soon as it arrives. When the person receives the letter, he immediately gives it back to the postman to send it back ASAP. You are only interested in the total time it’ll take from the moment it leaves your hand to the moment you get it back. Now, that letter in our ping case is called a packet (it’s essentially a tiny amount of data of a predetermined size.) Ping time is the time it takes for the packet to move from your computer to the computer (server) you are testing and back to you. It’s measured in milliseconds. A millisecond is one one-thousandth of a second. It has to be measured with these tiny units because data travels very quickly.

However, ping doesn’t tell the whole story. It only tells you that if, for example, the ping time from your computer to the server you are testing is 20 milliseconds, it will take that amount of time for your computer to send a request to the server and get a response. It does NOT measure how much data the other computer (server) can send you or you to them.

Lower ping time means that you have to wait for a shorter period to receive responses from a server and vice-versa. On the question of which one is better, it depends on what you are doing on your computer. If you’re downloading large amounts of data, the ping times are less important than the throughput. In that case, you would be just fine with high ping times even in excess of 500 ms. Bandwidth is more important in this situation because you want as much data transmitted as possible. It makes little difference if it takes 500 or more milliseconds for the data to start ‘flowing.’

There are some applications that need low ping times, most notably, games. If you are using online multi player in a game, the game server wants a response from you almost immediately and your game also wants data from the server immediately. In this case, your connection must be a low-latency (with very low ping times) one. Games usually work better with ping times below 50 milliseconds or less. Some can’t work unless the ping times are below 100 ms.

In the speed test, ping times show you the server’s response times but the speed (throughput) is a totally different tale. I have seen ping times as low as 2 milliseconds when safaricom launched their 4G but now it’s much higher although it makes little difference. Fiber optic connections can have ping times lower than one-tenth of a millisecond.

Thanks for the information. Now I have a better understanding of ping times.

One more thing. When ping time is high, it could mean that the server has got many other requests to fulfill hence busy. It could also mean that the ISP is bogged down with a lot of traffic such that it has no way to deliver the data as quickly as it would have if there was less traffic.

Thanks a lot. Now I’m so enlightened.

Only 48,000 fiber connections in Kenya, what gives low coverage or income?

Low coverage.

I found out a while ago that our ISP is Access Kenya!!!

Anyone here have experiences with them? The connection is so shitty I kent!

Wondering if I can muscle the management to switch to Safaricom FTH.

Your Telkom is showing Access Kenya?

No…for the apartment building I moved to

Such crappy internet connection aki :unamused:

Noticed something strange after FTTH outages the past few days. Safaricon is either:

1. Messing with speedtest
  2. Giving people bonus bandwidth

I have tried on multiple computers and multiple browsers just to be sure it’s not cookies affecting it.

Even download speeds have seen an 800% increase - I am on the 10Mbps connection

My friend really wants that good Safaricom fiber. So he has settled on Kinoo(based on the advice that you gave). How is the rent there - from a bedsitter to a 2 bedroom? Any specific areas that you can recommend?Any concerns to have with those areas?Any areas to avoid?