Safaricom Fibre To the Home Experiences,Please share

No, Safaricom FTTH.

Safaricom told me they have reached Kwa D.O. in Kasarani, there’s hope for you.

Waendelee hivo hivo…but then they keep saying that they’re not installing in apartments so now… :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

Whatever you hear, they have installed in the apartments at Engen, Kahawa Sukari.

Kwa D.O, Is it anywhere near Seasons, Santon area?

Yes, it’s just past Equity, but the opposite side of the road.

i noticed that too

Safaricom are generous with the Upload speeds,Zuku are just tryna entice existing users nothing else.Safaricom can easily bump up speeds for current subscribers if they want because their infrastructure already allows them to do so…Zuku’s infrastructure cannot allow them to offer reliable gigabit service if they wanted to…Safaricom’s all fibre infrastructure allows them to abstract bandwidth provisioning from existing physical infrastructure at no incremental upgrade cost.

Zuku will not exist in the next 3 years. Soon they will start crying dominance by Safaricom yet Faimba has tossed an Ace of spades on the table.

When Zuku started out with low WiMax prices, people and other ISPs said the same thing. We can thank them for lowering entry prices and trying to keep them down.

However, their network unreliability and incompetent call center staff will surely be their demise unless something is done immediately.

These were the prices I used to pay in 2010 on WiMax. How did I survive with 512Kbps?

I remember you and I agreeing with this statement. Kenyans are slow to make an uprising but when they do, You can’t win them back.

See this article, and realize the 3 years might be as soon as 2020

I use Zuku at home and we have been having painful weekends lately.

The speed test shows good download speeds of up to 19 Mbps but we can hardly stream a movie.

Safaricom FTTH is yet to get to my neighborhood. I had JTL in my previous place and their speeds were not that good, however they were reliable.

Soon they will start crying dominance by Safaricom

I am yet to see someone mention their Hai-Waya experience.

Their fibre prices rival Safaricom’s FTTH but their availability is very limited. Yaani hadi Westlands na Upper Hill hawana services.

I am guessing 80-90% of Zuku customers are eagerly waiting for an alternative.

JTL decided their fibre is for the elite. (Remember what happened to Kencell)

I expect Telkom to join the fibre race later on but it will be too late for them

Safaricom will win this war. I mean, even the competition is helping them.

I agree with Trey,Safaricom are moving very fast…they just raised two billboards on Uhuru highway and Mbagathi way saying they are available from Nairobi west,south C all the way to Ngummo/Langata…So far i have had very negligible downtime with them and the toll free number comes in handy to account holders.I can never go back to Zuku if i have a Safaricom Fibre option available

Safaricon won the WiMax war too, until they raised prices once consumer numbers grew. I’m curious to see what happens when they finish their rollout and start experiencing congestion.

Liquid telecom with their Hai Waya service have failed,they should focus on onboarding restaurants and eating joints as well as coffee cafes and county governments with city wide wifi availability services especially in parks and other public areas even partner with supermarkets and malls if they need to…they need to get consumers onboard their internet platform or they will become irrelevant very quickly.

Also saw that their fibre to home is quite cheap, 100mbps at Kes. 13,500. Their deployment though is poor

@TeriWanderi I don’t expect Safaricom to mess this up like they did with WiMax. Plus Fibre does not have the WiMax drawbacks that necessitated a price hike.

Fibre has very high one time costs. The maintenance costs are generally low. Once they recoup the initial investment, everything henceforth is mostly profit.

@iamtembo Here are the prices for their home fibre. (Upload and download speeds are equal)

5 Mbps - 2,499/=
10 Mbps - 3,499/=
25 Mbps - 4,499/=
50 Mbps - 5,699/=
100 Mbps - 9,999/=

Back then they were just getting started. Whoever mentioned that must have been myopic in their thinking. But this time round, take it from me, in the next 3 years Zuku will not exist. Keep in mind that at that time, there were very few players such as KDN (they stopped providing retails services and were later on bought by some South African company, if I’m not wrong), we had Access Kenya, and they are now in hibernation, Swift Global (I wonder where they went to), Liquid Telcom (still trying to hold on there but meeen, they are on their last straw like Zuku).

Right now we have Safaricom and they are using predatory tactics to steal the chapati out of these remaining ISPs’ mouth.

You have to note that these ISPs are targeting the same places and have ignored where the numbers are. Go to Muthaiga, Karen, Kilimani, Parklands, etc you will find all fiber services ISPs there. That market niche has already reached saturation.

We have Faimba that has gamed the system and obtained a 4G licence on the best available spectrum that has got mobile phone service providers crying foul. I read on their press statement that they have already invested 5 Billion bob and are testing their 4G network.

The backlash on Zuku for providing internet services selectively yet you have paid for a full month has got people switching from Zuku to Safaricom and everyone is waiting for that Safaricom fiber to reach their homes. Faimba’s strategy in ingenious and they are only targeting data and not voice or sms (will probably be provided as VAS may be). Zuku is just there, claiming to upgrade speeds, change pricing, etc etc and they are not expanding. In fact, they told me they don’t have any expansion plans soon. Shareholders are tired and want the company to be sold.

So true. Let’s wait and see. Things are going to get interesting by December.

Faimba Telecoms? What do you think?

Their strategy seems to recover investment almost immediately instead of long term through increased users, almost like someone is trying to recover investment before their 2 year contract is up

SEACOM has a 1.28Tb/s capacity, let’s say hypothetically the other 5 have the same, divide that 5 ways - Government, Military, Business and Consumer, Redundant.

The US has about 50 cables serving 300M people, so roughly 10x our capacity, with users receiving 10Mbps average

At 30M people sharing 5 cables means speeds are maintained because the population and cables balance out so we should have an average of 10MBps as well if everyone is on-board. I’d estimate 15M have high capacity phones so a potential 25M more customers to share the cost of 1 cable . These users would also share the cost of the cable going to business - FTTH, Workplace, coffee shops etc so technically 50M total customers if you factor in likely use.

Cable owners should focus on recovering their costs by spreading it amongst the potential untapped customers instead of burdening it on the existing ones.

VERY rough estimates used here. I welcome amendments from someone with hard figures.