Reboot, reset your router immediately to prevent cyber-attacks

FBI is alerting everyone on a VPNFilter malware that has infected more than 500,000 routers used in homes and small businesses in more than 50 countries. There are three stages to VPNFilter — a persistent stage 1 and non-persistent stages 2 and 3. Because of how the malware works, rebooting will clear out stages 2 and 3 and mitigate most problems. The FBI had seized a domain used by the malware’s creator to deliver stages 2 and 3 of the attack, and that these later stages cannot survive a reboot.
The malware was discovered by Cisco’s security researchers and affects routers made by Linksys, Mikrotik, Netgear, QNAP, TP-Link inta alia. The U.S. Department of Justice said the authors of the VPNFilter were part of the Sofacy group that answered directly to the Russian government, Reuters reported, and that Ukraine was the likely target of the attack.
FBI is urging users of all routers and NAS devices, not just the 14 devices identified by Cisco, to reboot.

A link to the information would be great

Here’s the article by Business insider and Reuters. I watched it on CNN, BBC channels too
People are also advised to disable router’s remote management settings, changing passwords to replace them with more secure ones and upgrading to the latest firmware.

Who is to trust the FBI? Rebooting or resetting your router changes logins to default. What are they trying to do… Most malware will survive a reboot.

They are claiming just rebooting is enough to break the chain used by the malware to operate and the rest are just extra measures according to Digital Trends but Leave alone FBI… Cisco made this discovery that’s where my worry is… if the claims were made by a different organization who has no business in profit made by selling these network devices, I would’ve taken it more seriously.
Anyway, it’s not a hustle to just switch off and on just in-case the claims are true although in Kenya we have poor net-services we always end up rebooting 300 times a day

First thought as well. They send something out then ask people to reboot routers through mass hysteria and they achieve what they set out to do.

There are a lot of security experts analyzing the whole thing. It is not just the FBI.