People are very cynical about Windows 10

So I stumbled upon this tweet of a guy who deliberately downloads torrents to see what malware is installed in them, and he wasn’t surprised.

What interested me is that alongside comments that people should not be cheap and spend money on legit software, some were cynic about Windows 10 being the malware.

But Windows is so expensive. I wouldn’t blame anyone for trying to get a workaround.

The best alternative to Windows is Linux – why risk a malware-loaded illegal version of a software when you can legally use Linux for free.

…And the choices of distro pretty much allows you to get the desktop you want out-of-the-box - there’s even one (ElementaryOS, IIRC) which mimics Windows visually - if that’s your ‘thing’.

My problem with Linux has always been usability. Windows is very friendly (both visually and functionally) and I am yet to find Linux system that will offer me similar experience. Inlcuding getting all my softwares on board.

guys can join the insider program for free and get a free digital license

I downloaded a free version of Winrar a couple of weeks ago and my laptop went beserk. It started running the CPU and disk at 100% with just an excel sheet running. I had to uninstall then buy genuine Karspesky and run a full scan. I will never make that mistake again

you could have just stopped background services and watch that CPU and disk usage plummet to below 50%

While the average user will take a long time to start taking paying for software seriously, at least we’re headed somewhere. As more become aware of what’s at stake when you use pirated software through and through, quite a number will slowly transition to paying for it when they can. While Windows may be out of the reach of many locally, how many make sure they don’t deny developers their keep and support the work they do for apps they can actually afford to pay for? I mean you’ll find guys pirating an app that costs at most Kshs 300 but still want quality and expect to stay away from malware when they install the cracked version of the app from dubious sources. It should be a lesson to all. When you can afford software, buy it. Buying genuine software doesn’t guarantee you any security but for most users it keeps a lot of stuff out of the door which is a good start.

I have been an advocate of FOSS ( Free and Open Source) Software for 40 years - long before it was known as such, and became a ‘movement’. There is now so much first class open source software available, yet it has become the mindset that software must be paid for (or pirated)! Yet in fact, many of the open source ‘alternatives’ are better than the paid-for software that is pirated! I have no problem working on a day-to-day basis with 100% free, open source software.