Payment Integration in an App, what Options are there to consider?

We are not entirely clueless. I just wanted your thoughts based on your experiences on what’s best.

Case opened and closed.

Hehe. This guy won’t let it go.

And that’s why the response wasn’t just ‘It depends…’ as it would be too simplistic; not really contribute in any way. The response above works as a guide so you can come up with the answer without you revealing any more information than you have to.

Answering with finality minus the details of what you’re trying to achieve would be misguiding you.

Our learnings support a single point, which Paul and I named in Mike’s honor. Mazzeo’s Law: The answer to every strategic question is “It depends.” Corollary: The trick is knowing what it depends on.

What we found is that there’s no best path to business success. Managers successfully address seemingly similar problems in very different ways and, as our corollary suggests, the trick is to find which solution fits with the specifics of your business.

Our resident consultant @TeriWanderi has spoken and we’ll leave it at that. Gold as always.

This above will probably be the headache since I’m not aware of an off the shelf solution to cashout out to people in the diaspora from here

If clients are able to request payments without intervention, does this mean your platform supports a wallet feature (or where will the money go otherwise?)

If a wallet function is present/supported, cellulant allows money to be swept from their platform to your business account and together with your developer(s) can create a function for automatic customer payments/withdraws from a business account. This is Ill-Advised, as an automatic (READ: UNCHECKED) step in such a crucial area is a common source of accounting fraud. You would want a maker-checker system sent via the app so a human element safeguards the verification process.

Even if Cellulant or another multi-payment platform could insure the money at this process, an incident would trigger lengthy and unnecessary investigations that could have been avoided.

A float account with pre-set thresholds - alert the admin when the amount in the account is at 80% to sweep into the bank, or at 20% to top up is a safer middle ground. This ensures most transactions go through automatically without nagging at each step but there are checks at key transaction points so you as the business always know what’s happening.

Alternatively, you build all these functionalities in-house and pre-authorize deposit/withdraw thresholds in the system.

For this we are first working on the local market-MPESA(B2C) . The problem has been the guys over at Safariom have been really slow. They will be some human verification at some point. The current set up is all human even for minuscule amounts. Those are the ones we want to automate first.

The good thing with all of this is that its an industry initiative and we are working with regulators to make sure that issues such as a fraud and money laundering are addressed. Where we can’t find a solution, we just move along and stick to what works.
Edit: A unique thing with our company is that we have a huge number of diaspora clients and the flows from these clients are significant. The industry discussions right now are around the local market.

This right here makes me want to pull my hair out. In these two statements you manage to both contradict yourself and prove that you don’t understand the scale of your homework assignment.

Humor me omniscient lifeform.

@SamuelN, you have serious homework to do brother. One of the requirements of the regulator (e.g CBK) is that your team or at least one of your team members should be certified or have undergone a reputable AML (Anti money laundering) training. If you are looking to process international funds, I have bad news for you son, you’ve got to undergo a microscopic scrutiny. My advise, seek partnerships, especially with monoliths. But still it’s not going to be easy to meet all the legal requirements. Just do your research well, and share with us if you can.

We’ve all undergone AML training and we do have an AML officer.

This is exactly what we are doing. We’ve hit a dead end with mobile based diaspora remittances. The issue is Wave, worldremit users can’t send to a paybill. We might just have to go with traditional means(cards, paypal etc) for now.