Liquid Telecom, Wananchi, AccessKenya, iWay Africa granted 4G LTE trial license

So last week I read about a consortium of 10 companies having applied for a 4G LTE license. After digging a bit more today found out that Liquid Telecom, Wananchi Group, AccessKenya and iWay Africa are among the 10 companies which have been divided into two groups of consortia. Apparently they’ve already been granted a 1 year trial license, like the one Faiba operates on currently

They realize the impact Faiba 4G has had on the market and they’re like. Oooh sh*t he’s done it. We can try it too. If I may ask, why are they rushing to offer 4G services when they’re so mean in rolling out FTTH to new homes? Or it’s a move meant to counter Safaricom’s impact on FTTH?

The 700Mhz LTE is a cursed one for consumers. Just checked and found out it has over 7 bands.( Band 12,13,14,17, 28, 29).

Cost.

Mobile broadband is traditionally cheaper to roll out than fixed broadband.

10 billion invested in mobile broadband can get you several hundred cell towers. An average tower costs 10-25 million. That is enough to serve several hundred thousands if not millions.

The same investment in fixed broadband will probably not be enough to even connect your first customer.

It is not all gloomy though for fixed broadband. Good quality optical fibre is very durable and, if installed correctly and protected from the environment, can last decades.

Fixed broadband is still king and we cannot avoid it forever - unless 5G is really as revolutionary as people are claiming.

ooh, its gonna be good thats for sure. it’s not like your download speeds will magically jump to 4gbps as the tests have shown, after all 4g+ was said to average 1gbps but… you have seen the speeds yourself. Am guessing since 4g gives us an average of 50-90 in real life, 5g will be around 150-200 in real life… at 3am in the morning when few people are connected :joy: otherwise… meeh, the hype needs to be killed.

Exactly.

I heard the same thing when 4G was rolling out.

“Your phone might just replace your home broadband”

As long as data caps exist, 5G will still be largely limited to your phone and used for light tasks.

~2 years to go though. Let us see how it all plays out.

They should change the game and cover the remote areas first like Kainuk and the rest, then small towns and finally end up in the cities, and also try unlimted offering or just crazy bundles like 100GB for 1000 bob,
Faiba can sit tight and expand their coverage and with the current pricing they shall be good for sometime.
For FTTH I can see safaricom is still aggressively expanding in Mombasa with Nyali and Bamburi being their target, Faiba seems to have frozen their expansion and ZUKU is still dealing with frustrated customers.

Yaw, 5G innovators say that their speeds are guaranteed up to 1gps.
So whn you say 150mps you underrate what they mean. At least you should have said 300mps!

Average revenue per user (ARPU) is higher in cities. That would not be a smart business move.

Most of them are using very high frequencies (e.g 28GHz) which have a very very low coverage.

I also expect 150-200Mbps in real-world tests.

Not really. There is a “fixed version” of 5G. Some operators like Verizon and AT&T are already in trials(not a lab kind of trial) with residential service launch planned this year.

I was talking about 5G on smartphones. I expect 150-200 Mbps on smartphones.

The ‘fixed wireless’ is the one they were showcasing using wireless antennas that are connected to a router inside your house.

Its not just showcasing.Its one of the use cases of 5G-fixed wireless access. its like WIMAX had a fixed and a mobile version. I’m more excited about this use case(cause we can realize it sooner).

Yes, for smartphones we should expect those speeds.

I think the bands that were previously allocated to fixed wireless technologies(e.g a no. of countries use the 3.5GHz for fixed wireless) like WIMAX will be re-farmed to 5G.

Actually what am excited about is this, not even the mobile version. if this goes well, safaricom’s FTTH service will be discontinued, especially for those who are yet to get a connection. why? cuz it will be cheaper for safcom to offer fibre services to clients by just asking them to buy 5g routers. with the expected fixed router speeds of at least 1gbps, there will be more customers, less network downtimes, and more speeds per costs. all safaricom needs to do is set up masts every km2 or so. correct me if am wrong but I think this is how it all goes down. IoT will be realized much faster (now am sounding biased :joy: )

This is exactly what Verizon is testing.

The deal breaker for me will be data caps. My usage in the last 30 days is 1.8 TB on 10-15 Mbps.

Not getting hyped about this until it happens.

T-Mobile mentioned they will be using their 600 MHz band for 5G deployment. This will be for phones mostly.

Fixed wireless might use the high frequency ones.

Currently, T-mobile is using the 600Mhz for 4G/LTE(band 71). They might use for 5G later.

Guys, am I the only one who gets irritated when speeds are measured in Mbps instead of MBps? Sometimes you have to explain to a less techy person why a 500MB movie does not download in 50 seconds kwa 10Mbps connection since they assume Mbps is same as MBps

For real. There’s this time I was excited that my torrent download speeds were hitting 1.6MBps on Airtel 3G. I shared the same on a whatsapp group telling them that’s around 12mbps. Guys were like “wth are you talking about, sisi sio mafala, iyo 1.6mbps” :grinning:
Lakini pia I partly blame Airtel ju imezoesha watu slow speeds hehe

its crazy that most people about 90% in Kenya don’t know the difference!

And i was one some years back come to think of all these 4G investments the real deal goes to the consumer if the pricing is done right