Jumia still making losses

How old is Jumia again? So i came across this tweet by Mark Essien claiming that Rocket Internet financials are out, and Jumia is still in the deep end.

Remember quite recently they had to consolidate all the various verticals to Jumia subdomains under Jumia categories because some were really doing badly. It becomes interesting when questions like ‘how long till Jumia gets cut loose’ pop up.

Rocket Internet has been known to be a cloning machine of great working online businesses by American companies with a plan to sell to the cloned company when they scale up and are too big not to be noticed. Recently Amazon purchased Souq, the biggest ecommerce site in the gulf region. We expected that Amazon would come knocking sooner because of the scale at which Jumia has already grown in Africa. Nothing yet. Can’t say they are time barred though.

I thought jumia are up in the sky already

There is barely much outside of the ecommerce site that was originally Jumia, the other ‘categories’ are just there.

Are the other Jumia products pulling the original Jumia down or what exactly is happening?

The main thing happening to Jumia is the lack of exits. http://www.businessinsider.com/barclays-rocket-internet-desperately-needs-some-ipos-in-2017-2017-4

very similar to most ecommerce businesses during early days…I think they projected they will start making profits in a few years…not sure when