Is it necessary to charge a new smartphone for 6 hrs

Hi everyone… got my Tecno Camon c9 today morning… salesman told me to charge the mobile first time for 6 hrs … but within 2 hrs the battery was charged full … i removed it in 3hrs… is it necessary to charge it for 6 hrs.??
if so can i do it now???

Thanks in advance

Mostly, IMO, it’s a misconception we carried from the dumb phone days. Battery and charging tech was pretty mediocre at that time it was normal to charge a phone for lengthy periods. We, henceforth, carried the same mindset to the smartphone era. Admittedly, there are a couple of modern devices that take that long to charge. However, the insistence of plugging them in for that long is purely obligatory from the salesperson rather than essential. On the plus side, it’s merely ‘calibration-al’, but you’ll be fine when it’s full, so there’s no need to keep it plugged in and waste precious electricity.

Most batteriers nowadays are Lithium-based (Ion/ Polymer) and do not need extended calibration.

At most extend past the full charge by 30 minutes for the first time, then always keep the charge between 60-90% (and especially avoid the charge level dropping below 30%) to keep the battery at its optimum voltage level and hence get it to last long before a replacement would be due.

I also would want to add that unibody designs are making battery replacements challenging. There’s no easy way of sneaking in there and haul out a misbehaving battery.
However, manufacturers are forced by consumers to adopt these designs because people want a ‘premium’ feel for their shiny slabs, which comes at the sacrifice of user-replaceable batteries. This is the only middle ground for the dynamic nature of consumers.

I agree, the 6 hours is nonesense but i do know that the charging battery thing is not. I have heard from very reliable sources (people who work in service centres for brands that i won’t mention) that charging the battery immediately after unboxing is very important and not debatable if you want that battery to last. Concerning the calibration you should make sure you charge the battery from close to 1% to 100% at least once a month. During the charging process don’t use the phone or interrupt the charging process. At all. (Some of this stuff isn’t practical unless you have quick charge). Using the phone while charging especially in doing demanding stuff is a sure way of damaging your battery.

i agree with lulu wambua’s comment

Good input from everyone, but I am itching to correct a few misconceptions.Lithium-based batteries come already caliberated by the manufacturer hence, you do not need to worry about keeping the battery between 20% and 80% or any other figures out there. 100% on your phone, isn’t actually 100% on the battery and 0% isn’t actually zero.

Secondly, using your phone while charging is discouraged to avoid injury just in case the battery explodes (which only happens if it is defective or you’re using a bad charger). Otherwise, if you’re using your phone as you charge it, it will do something referred to as “trickle charge” which is simply the battery taking in small amounts of power.

Thirdly, you can charge your battery for 12 hours straight if you want to, but with the technology used nowadays, once your battery gets to 100% it stops taking in power and the power is fed directly to the phone.

I don’t think so, on the same battery issue I bought a Lenovo ideapad 500 laptop and it came with a software the call battery conserver it stops the battery charging at 55 or 60 % for those people who keep their laptops plugged in for long periods, does this mean if you want your battery to stay for long you should charge it halfway.

Keeping the battery at around 50% charge helps mainly when you plan on long term storage.

Store it half-charged when you store it long term.

If you want to store your device long term, two key factors will affect the overall health of your battery: the environmental temperature and the percentage of charge on the battery when it’s powered down for storage. Therefore, we recommend the following:

• Do not fully charge or fully discharge your device’s battery — charge it to around 50%. If you store a device when its battery is fully discharged, the battery could fall into a deep discharge state, which renders it incapable of holding a charge. Conversely, if you store it fully charged for an extended period of time, the battery may lose some capacity, leading to shorter battery life.

Source: Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan

From my own experience with current generation laptops, constant power cycling hurts battery life more than staying plugged in at the desk.

@kenjuma96 there’s a website called battery university that’ll answer all your questions.

What @kamonye said is somewhat accurate. The truth is that at higher charge levels, the internal resistance of a lithium-ion battery increases and that decreases longevity. According to battery university which has real scientists, a li-ion battery should be maintained at around 10% to 90% for maximum durability. Here’s a link to that effect

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
@Lulu_Wambua, battery calibration is no longer necessary in newer versions of Android (after 4.4). The operating system does that automatically even if you don’t manually clear batterystats.bin. After a few charges the percentage showing on your phone will be totally accurate without your intervention.

@sarunibm look at the info on the link I provided. A battery’s state of charge significantly affects its longevity. One more thing… Trickle charging only applies when the battery is almost full. Even then, playing games will decrease the battery level because it consumes more than the charger can provide. Also, the phone primarily uses charge from the battery. Basically, only the battery has a stable enough current for the phone to use so the phone takes out of the battery as the charger struggles to fill it. As a result, the extreme stress that the battery will be under at that time will significantly reduce it’s life expectancy. Also, good luck keeping the temperature below 50 degrees Celsius at which point irreversible damage to the battery starts to occur.

What @RINYE says is being implemented in newer versions of Android because it increases the longevity of any lithium-based battery. If you look at the charge curve of a device running Android 6 or higher on a phone that is plugged in overnight, you’ll notice that charging stops at around 90% and the final 10% is topped off just minutes before you wake up (next scheduled alarm.)

What @marcus254 said also supports the fact that a lithium-based battery should not be kept too empty or too full to make sure that internal resistance is kept at a minimum. This increases durability.

I realized when I use my phone until the battery drops to 0% (and switches off) the screen on time will drops after recharging unlike when I recharge the phone from 20% to 100%.

100% drop to 0% = 9.5~10hrs

After charging

20% ~ 100% Screen On Time = 6~6.5hrs

After second recharge from 20%

20% ~ 100% Screen On Time = 8-9hrs

This must have something to do with how Android is calculating screen on time or how you used the phone to get it from full to empty - it has nothing to do with how much percentage you had before charging. Think of it this way… Imagine your battery as a tank that holds a FIXED amount of water. The rate at which you’ll run out of water depends solely on how you use it. For example, let’s say it takes you one week to empty the drum if you shower twice daily, clean dishes and wash clothes once a week. In another instance you have the in-laws visiting you over Easter holiday. Now these in-laws are like additional processes and activities on your phone. Your water tank definitely won’t last a week with all of you using the water.

Of course it could also be that Android did not reset the screen on time during one cycle therefore giving you almost double the actual figure. Use a battery monitoring app for more accurate results. I prefer GSam battery monitor which does an excellent monitoring job.

In most cases the situations that I monitor the SOT is sort of a cateris paribus where all conditions remain almost the same. In doing so, also check battery consumption by apps. I mostly use Chrome. Not so much into Facebook, Instagram etc apps. So I rely on Chrome mostly.

I will try check out the app and see if the GSam app will give me different or the same results.

Hehe, you reminded me of back in the day when I was studying economics and we had this thing where we turned every difficult term into a dirty equivalent ndio tusisahau

The app does all the monitoring you mentioned plus a ton more.

for me i never charge my new phone i use it till it dies then charge it to full but i usually charge my phone anytime and everytime whenever i am near a charger evennif the phone is at 80% and i have never gotten any battery issues

That’s a mistake. You are never supposed to finish the charge a new battery comes with because it’s there just to keep the battery from dying because of prolonged storage without use. As a rule of thumb you should at least charge the battery to full when it’s brand new. That saturates the battery and makes sure that you bring it up to its full capacity (actually this only happens after a few charges.) but you shouldn’t exhaust the factory charge. Filling it up when it’s new makes sure it is firing on all cylinders.

Maybe not for smartphone batteries, but if you buy a new laptop battery, it is written on the manual that you must charge it for a specific number of hours before using (I know it weird that I read manuals). :wink:

You deserve a trophy for that

I won’t go as far as calling it weird but you’re definitely a geek. I’d follow the manual of I were you but I don’t know if it’s because of the battery alone that they give you such instructions.