Is 4K a marketing gimmick?

I was watching videos on tech and I came across this one here:

The guy argues that while 4K tech is out already it will take about 5-10 years to reach the average consumer. 8K on the other hand will never happen. Also that 1080p at 60Htz is not very different from 4K based on what the human eye sees.

So my question is can you really tell the difference between 1080p and 4K? (and the frame-rate different between 30 and 60?). And while answering that when do you think local TV is going to go HD?

My day to day job involves projectors ,digital signage led panels and interactive LED panels and yes you can tell the difference between 1080p and 4K .

Regarding switch to HD for locals stations ,this will take ages .Greatwall resolution is here to say .

You can’t watch 4k content on 1080p screen and expect to see a difference. Yes, there is a perceivable difference between 4k and 1080.

What I/we are more concerned with currently is not an improvement to 8k, but to HDR10. If you have ever watched a HDR content, you know it’s dope!

Local stations are less likely to adopt 4k any time soon, ata 1080 bado. Full HD broadcast locally maybe from 2020 (international media most bado ku adopt 4k).

HDR 10 and Dolby Vision are revolutionary, unlike increase in number of pixels.

We’re talking of year 2050, earliest otherwise it might not happen until the return of the messiah.
And if it happens from year 2050, that’ll be something unplanned just like Digital Tv

The difference between 480 and 1080 was very noticeable,4K ehhh not much most won’t even notice, 4 and 8k don’t make sense at the moment in terms of storage and streaming due to big file sizes, I wonder why local TV is still not hd, is it more expensive to air hd?

Why do you watch most YouTube videos in 480p or 720 instead of 1080p? Of course, 1080p sucks bundles like a cup of tea. Broadcasting is the same thing. Since most local stations use signet to air their free content, airing in higher resolutions cost more cuz they pay for bandwidth.

Kiss TV airs in 720p through their decoder. Signet (govt) just needs to lower charges to encourage high quality broadcast, and obviously, Kenyans need to have supported devices to realize the benefits.

lets say the screen u use is wat makes the difference personally i cant tell the difference.

I didn’t know Greatwall tv’s came with streaming capability :thinking::thinking:

Hahaha well,4K is definitely not a gimmick and HDR is also a big leap,1080p HD is great but watching 4K content on compatible screens you can definitely notice the difference.There is also HDR,if you watch HDR content on a HDR compatible screen whether 1080p or above,you will notice a huge difference…its like the difference between OLED and LED nywa for Full HD adoption on FTA broadcasts,there was a time i raised this here on the techweez forum,since then i noticed Bamba Sports actually broadcasts on 1080i and Kiss TV on 720i/1080i,a lot of content on the Bamba TV platform is kinda upscaled to at least 720i and above…I think there is no incentive at the moment for Local TV providers to move in that direction coz most consumers still dont care about tv content too much so 576i and SD quality will do for now…

You can perfectly differentiate between FHD and 4K. If you are used to seeing an image or video in individual pixels as opposed to seeing either as a whole, then you’ll notice it.

yeah u on point here ju jana we were debating the same na cuzo and he was like on 4k u can even notice the tinniest pimple and i was like i dont mind as long as am not a photographer or a designer all i care abt is clarity of wat i watch on the screen

The difference is definitely noticeable between 4k and 1080p. 4k is comparable to 8.5 megapixels while 1080p is 2.1 megapixels. 8k is 32.2 megapixels. I beleive anything over 20 megapixels is overkill so probably the difference between 4k and 8k will be very hard to discern.