Is 4K a marketing gimmick?

I was watching videos on tech and I came across this one here:

The guy argues that while 4K tech is out already it will take about 5-10 years to reach the average consumer. 8K on the other hand will never happen. Also that 1080p at 60Htz is not very different from 4K based on what the human eye sees.

So my question is can you really tell the difference between 1080p and 4K? (and the frame-rate different between 30 and 60?). And while answering that when do you think local TV is going to go HD?

My day to day job involves projectors ,digital signage led panels and interactive LED panels and yes you can tell the difference between 1080p and 4K .

Regarding switch to HD for locals stations ,this will take ages .Greatwall resolution is here to say .

You can’t watch 4k content on 1080p screen and expect to see a difference. Yes, there is a perceivable difference between 4k and 1080.

What I/we are more concerned with currently is not an improvement to 8k, but to HDR10. If you have ever watched a HDR content, you know it’s dope!

Local stations are less likely to adopt 4k any time soon, ata 1080 bado. Full HD broadcast locally maybe from 2020 (international media most bado ku adopt 4k).

HDR 10 and Dolby Vision are revolutionary, unlike increase in number of pixels.

We’re talking of year 2050, earliest otherwise it might not happen until the return of the messiah.
And if it happens from year 2050, that’ll be something unplanned just like Digital Tv

The difference between 480 and 1080 was very noticeable,4K ehhh not much most won’t even notice, 4 and 8k don’t make sense at the moment in terms of storage and streaming due to big file sizes, I wonder why local TV is still not hd, is it more expensive to air hd?

Why do you watch most YouTube videos in 480p or 720 instead of 1080p? Of course, 1080p sucks bundles like a cup of tea. Broadcasting is the same thing. Since most local stations use signet to air their free content, airing in higher resolutions cost more cuz they pay for bandwidth.

Kiss TV airs in 720p through their decoder. Signet (govt) just needs to lower charges to encourage high quality broadcast, and obviously, Kenyans need to have supported devices to realize the benefits.

lets say the screen u use is wat makes the difference personally i cant tell the difference.

I didn’t know Greatwall tv’s came with streaming capability :thinking::thinking:

Hahaha well,4K is definitely not a gimmick and HDR is also a big leap,1080p HD is great but watching 4K content on compatible screens you can definitely notice the difference.There is also HDR,if you watch HDR content on a HDR compatible screen whether 1080p or above,you will notice a huge difference…its like the difference between OLED and LED nywa for Full HD adoption on FTA broadcasts,there was a time i raised this here on the techweez forum,since then i noticed Bamba Sports actually broadcasts on 1080i and Kiss TV on 720i/1080i,a lot of content on the Bamba TV platform is kinda upscaled to at least 720i and above…I think there is no incentive at the moment for Local TV providers to move in that direction coz most consumers still dont care about tv content too much so 576i and SD quality will do for now…

You can perfectly differentiate between FHD and 4K. If you are used to seeing an image or video in individual pixels as opposed to seeing either as a whole, then you’ll notice it.

yeah u on point here ju jana we were debating the same na cuzo and he was like on 4k u can even notice the tinniest pimple and i was like i dont mind as long as am not a photographer or a designer all i care abt is clarity of wat i watch on the screen

The difference is definitely noticeable between 4k and 1080p. 4k is comparable to 8.5 megapixels while 1080p is 2.1 megapixels. 8k is 32.2 megapixels. I beleive anything over 20 megapixels is overkill so probably the difference between 4k and 8k will be very hard to discern.

This has already been solved. The HEVC and AV1 video codecs offer almost double the data compression ratio at the same level of video quality.

4K content will not have insane file sizes. The current standard (H.264) does not even support 8K.

The AV1 codec is likely to be the new standard. Why? The governing members are Amazon, Apple, ARM, Cisco, Facebook, Google, IBM, Intel Corporation, Microsoft, Mozilla, Netflix, and Nvidia

That is basically the entire internet.

All these companies stand to save millions of dollars in bandwidth costs every year if AV1 becomes the new standard. That is all the motivation they need.

4K episodes are available to download in some not legal websites at 900MBs when using x265. That is even smaller than x264 1080p episodes which are normally 1.8GB. The bad thing is most TVs dont support H.265 yet so you would have to play it via a laptop and HDMI out. Is there any TV that plays H.265 files from external storage?

I have put my work aside to investigate this for you :grin:. I downloaded an Imax short clip ( 1080p 40 seconds MKV file 50 MB in size) and converted it to MKV H265, MP4 H265, and MKV H264 using Handbrake.

Surprisingly, all the formats play seamlessly on my Sammy TV through a flash disk, despite that my laptop cant play H265 format properly. So, yes, as far as I know, Samsung TVs can play H265 both in MP4 and MKV.

H265 format reduced the size of the file from 50 MB to 28MB in both mp4 and mkv. I didn’t notice any drop in quality, so I guess the hype is real :smile:.

Those are definitely not 4K quality, unless the episodes are like 4 minutes long or the bitrate is very very very low.

Samsung TVs play some h.265 videos selectivity. Also converted clips will always play. It’s like they maintain some h.264 ness in them. Try a YouTube video downloaded with IDM and make sure it’s h.265 and try playing it.

Of course it has been extremely compressed but it will still be quite good in quality. H.265 compression is quite good. Without h.265 it would be over 10GB

The original imax video clip doesn’t play on TV, it’s an mkv container but the format I can’t tell what it is… It contains 3d viewing capability (when played on PC).

I don’t think two video formats can exist in the same container at the same time :grin:, plus handbrake is a well known video editing software.

The converted video (H265 mkv and mp4) crashes the latest version of VLC, but plays without a hitch on TV.

It could be MKV but a higher version. PS4 on system software 5.55 plays some mkv files and not others, with the only visible difference is when the videos were released - supports almost all MKV files released in 2016 but late 2017 to date is 0 (ZERO) on my end.

Those with digital capture cards could try encoding a sample video and sharing the results?